Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 351 Black Jade
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was planning on finishing my brake system today and started to bench bleed the master cylinder and on the second pump the rear cylinder bore was leaking quite a lot of brake fluid, at that point I thought it was bad so I pumped it a few more times anyway and then it stopped leaking. Is there any chance it is good? It is a new Raybestos. Or is the rear meant to be dry as a bone?

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Should be bone dry at all times.
I'd exchange it

Reactions: GOAT69

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 351 Black Jade
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any better brands or something made in USA? Need the power brake front disk/rear drum type.

·
VMF Ambassador
7,066 Posts
Usually the Raybestos brand of MCs is pretty reliable - unusual that this one is leaking! That brand would be my first choice so maybe just exchange for another of the same brand.

I seem to remember Cardone being pretty good?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Any better brands or something made in USA? Need the power brake front disk/rear drum type.
Zero US made masters.
Raybestos master were made in Litchfield, Ill untill about 10 years ago. Our Rep took us out to lunch and explain all machines, jobs would be moved to China and Mexico.
So now as Kelly stated, these pieces are reliable, but as any product, there is bad pieces made.
Please send the master back to me, if needed, I take care of it.
Dan

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
If it was leaking at first and stopped after a few strokes, I would be thinking it would start leaking again.

I've had very few issues with anything from Raybestos. Probably just like anything else where many are made, a few go out that didn't quite make the cut.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Was planning on finishing my brake system today and started to bench bleed the master cylinder and on the second pump the rear cylinder bore was leaking quite a lot of brake fluid, at that point I thought it was bad so I pumped it a few more times anyway and then it stopped leaking. Is there any chance it is good? It is a new Raybestos. Or is the rear meant to be dry as a bone?

View attachment 802270
Be sure to NEVER bottom the plunger out. It will leak almost every time if you do. Ask me how I know...
Raybestos sadly has gone offshore as well. I recall most of their production going to Mexico.

Reactions: GOAT69
1 - 7 of 7 Posts