Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in a wreck b/c my brakes were put on wrong, so the shop is having to replace everything b/c its screwed up so bad. Its been in there a week because they cant find the right master cylinder. I would call the guy I bought the car from but I know if I do I will end up doing something I regret for him doing my brakes wrong. So, any suggestions on what to do? its a 64 1/2 that had a dual master cylinder on it?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The "right" master cylinder for you 64.5 would be a single and not the dual that is there right now. The dual is a very smart upgrade. To go back to a single would be the wrong thing to do. So what's wrong with these brakes that makes them so screwed up?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Need more info.. Do you have front disk brakes? rear disks? Power brakes? If you are using manual front disk rear drums, a MC from a 1974 MAverick with manual front disk rear drums will bolt in.

AJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the shop has ordered 3 master cylinders and none of them work for some reason. I have 4 wheel manual drums. But, the guy at the shop was telling me that my brakes had been put on wrong and the left side was grabbing insanely hard and the right wasnt grabbing at all and when I got in the wreck my left locked up and everything got ripped apart.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If your tying to solve a right side vs. left side problem, then the Master Cylinder is the wrong place to be looking. Sounds like the brakes should be overhauled, but unless you have some specific reason to think the master cylinder has a problem, I'd tell him to leave it and just fix the drums.

If he still wants to replace the master cylinder, all he needs to get is a Drum/Drum Ford master cylinder.

Good Luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts