Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In between the heat/humidity/rain and BBQ today, I worked on a bunch of odds and ends. One of them being painting the new brake booster and rounding up all my brake parts.

My 67 has 4 wheel power drum. Everything on each corner is new except I reused the backing plates, hubs and front drums. When I converted from 4 to 5 lug, I replaced or refurbished everything. The distribution block and hard lines running to each wheel are also original.

My factory 5 lug system has less than 100 miles on it, worked perfect except the booster had a vacuum leak.

At some point in the future I want to upgrade to KH front discs. Thats after the car is back on the road and all the bugs are worked out. Summer-Fall 2021 Im guessing.

In the meantime I need a new MC.

Is there a way to use a Disc/Drum MC and make it work with my drum/drum system? I dont want to installl a new MC, then remove it when I do the disc install.

Since the engine is out and its easy to get to everything, I would like to install the disc/drum MC and proportioning valve now.

The MC I want to use is a 85 Crown Vic, it is aluminum, has the ports on the wrong side and is a 7/16-24 / 1/2-20 instead of 1/2-20 / 9/16-18. A PITA to plumb. but no rust.

If that isnt possible, I will use the drum/drum MC and deal with the disc/drum when the time comes.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
Yep, do drum/drum now and put in the disc/drum when you convert.

Changing out a master cylinder is not that big of a deal anyways, beyond the part where you have to rebleed the whole system.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changing out the MC is not a big deal. Adding the proportioning valve, bending new brake lines and reaching everything I need to reach is a big deal. Im not near as limber as I used to be. Being right handed, it would be much easier to work on if I was in OZ.

I guess I could buy the disc drum MC and proportioning valve now and mock everything up so its a P-N-P deal when the time comes.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yep, I agree with 66Ccode you should just do the swap now and do it once if you can swing it.
And save money in the long run ...

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice, but since the drums are new and Ive already sunk cash into those, as well as the big chunk the new booster ran me, plus the giant outlay of cash to do the engine swap, plus the money Im spending on metal work this month, I would like to hold off on another $800 purchase until the checking account quits screaming. I dont finance anything, its all cash and carry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts