Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading other post, it appears that you should use the flex plate for the same year or there about of the motor in question?

has anyone done a cheat sheet on compatibility? I am putting a 94 5.0 in my 65 convertible(yeah I know everyone says bad choice) and I want to use my c4 tranny. Now I have two worn out 302's in my junk pile with the plates on them. They are probably from the mid 80s. will either one of them work? or do I need to find one from a 94 setup?

tia,

Randy

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The change in flywheel balance took place around 1981 from 28 oz to 50 oz. You will need the 50 oz imbalance flex plate. Any 302 built after 1981 should be fine as long as the ring gear is the right size, your C4 torque converter bolt holes line up and the flywheel offset is correct. Remember to line up the converter drain plug with a corresponding hole in the flex plate if there is a drain plug. John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks John!

can I actually look for a 50oz weight or a stamp?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I wish it was that easy! Those guys (manufacturers) don't make it easy. The flywheels have a very similar size weight on them. The weight can be a little thinner and some times there is a cutout opposite the weight on the flywheel to allow them to have a smaller weight. It is just difficult to walk up to one and tell what it is. I have noticed that the AOD flywheels have AOD stamped on them but that does not help you. Take your original 289 FW and get a 50 oz to match the same offset and diameter. John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts