Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Glad to see a car built, not bought, under construction by the owner-you!! Not being a bodyman or painter but willing to go out there and do it yourself on 3 sheets of plywood under the new pole shed earns you lots and lots of points on your man card. I am not easily impressed...kudos sir!! I have no opinions on color or schemes, painted bumpers, no bumpers, etc, as long as it is well done. I would have liked to put a gt350 type front valance on my car though. I love silver cars with black vinyl tops... What shape is the cowl and rear window corner areas? Only suggestions I might make are to weld up the aprons more solid, add the plate under the export brace welding it on the cowl, arning drop, pull the steering gear box and get it rebuilt now... maybe weld a sheet metal panel in the trunk rear seat opening, roll all the wheel openings before you paint it. Great story line so far, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What shape is the cowl and rear window corner areas? Only suggestions I might make are to weld up the aprons more solid, add the plate under the export brace welding it on the cowl, arning drop, pull the steering gear box and get it rebuilt now... maybe weld a sheet metal panel in the trunk rear seat opening, roll all the wheel openings before you paint it. Great story line so far, thanks for posting!
Cowl and window corners and actually pretty solid, a little surface rust but no perforation. I actually welded the export brace support on this weekend, and have been working on the trunk divider panel. I did already roll the lips on the openings and did the arning drop as well. Thanks for the support and suggestions!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Didn't do much on the Mustang this weekend. Built a pallet wood bar in the back yard instead. Still have to put a couple coats of clear on the counter top.

I did get my gauges in though. I ordered Autometer Phantoms since they're the closest match to the Ford Racing ones I had.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got a little bit done on the car this weekend. Got the rear brakes on.

Also got my new radiator in. Champion 20" 2 row. Seems like a nice piece but time will tell. Also have a Pacific Thunder lower crossmember on order that should be here this week.

I also got a new amp this week as an early Birthday/Christmas gift from My wife. Marshall DSL1HR head and MX112 Cab. 1 Watt tube amp, this thing ROCKS!

I'm glad I have an awesome wife, because all my hobbies are expensive.

Reactions: Mr.E

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Haven't had a chance to work on the car in a while with Christmas and a couple of home improvement projects taking precedence. I did get a chance to the gauges mocked up today though. I opened up a Scott Drake bezel to fit the 2 5/8" gauges, and the 3 3/8" speedo fit the center hole without issue. As of now they're just sitting in the holes, so I still have to get them hard mounted. Also have to mount the hi beam indicator and figure out what I'm doing for turn signals. I think it looks pretty good so far though.

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
I also got a new amp this week as an early Birthday/Christmas gift from My wife. Marshall DSL1HR head and MX112 Cab. 1 Watt tube amp, this thing ROCKS!

I'm glad I have an awesome wife, because all my hobbies are expensive.
You should let us hear that axe and amp...

Allen

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got the gauges mounted today, also installed the Hi-beam indicator and the turn signal indicators. Did a quick wire up with a 12v power supply to check function of the lights. Don't know why the outermost gauges look so washed out in the pics. The lights aren't that bright.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Got the gauges mounted today, also installed the Hi-beam indicator and the turn signal indicators. Did a quick wire up with a 12v power supply to check function of the lights. Don't know why the outermost gauges look so washed out in the pics. The lights aren't that bright.

looks good but you know your loosing 20mph off the top end right :wink:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
looks good but you know your loosing 20mph off the top end right :wink:
Yeah I figured above 120mph I won't be looking at the speedometer anyway, lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nice Jackson. Is that a pre Fender Randy Rhoads model?
It's an 03 model, so it was made right after the Fender takeover. I've wanted a Rhoads model for years, I finally picked this one up about 7 months ago.

It's a 2003 MIJ RR5, neck through with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck. I love this guitar.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well.... It's been a while.
The last few years have been eventful, but I haven't made much progress on the car.
I changed jobs about 6 weeks after my last update, and then my wife finally got me started on the path to her new house. Between getting everything done with the house and then the honey do's of building porches and stuff like that, the Mustang has been on the back burner for a while.
I did finally get concrete poured for my shelter (took a while to find someone that would actually show up and do the job)
I've done a couple small things here and there. But my spare time has been devoted to hobbies like guitars and guns, that I can mess with in smaller time increments.
At any rate, I'm hoping to get back started and make some progress again.
Overall direction for the car is still the same, but I'm leading towards a dark red for paint color now. similar to how it was in high school.
This is how it sits now.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Didn't get a lot done this weekend. Rain and thunderstorms all day Saturday, today it was hot and humid. I sanded for a little while but it was just too hot for me. I went through my parts to make a list of what I have and what I need, then I worked on the instrument cluster.

I wired up the lights, signals, and Hi beam indicator, and wired/tested the fuel level and volt gauges.
Every connection/connector is soldered and heat-shrinked. It's not the neatest job, but it should work well.
Got a few projects in the yard that will eat up my next few weekends, then back on the car hopefully.

Electricity Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply Wire

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Got sidetracked with a couple of projects since my last post. Repainted and sold my 86 GT, then painted and sold my 87 4Runner. Also picked up a 98 GT cheap, and have done a few upgrades to it. My son just finished driver's ed, so we're doing a timing belt, water pump, and a few other things to a Tacoma for him. And I've been helping my brother swap engines in a 97 GT he picked up.
Since my projects are done and the others are winding down, it's time to get back on the 66.
I spent some time this weekend fitting the Shelby front apron, and tweaking some other things. Hoping to get everything fitted soon so I can prime and block it for paint.
I ordered the paint and other supplies yesterday. Decided to go with Scarlet Fever Pearl from The Coating Store. It should pop in the sunlight.

Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Brown Product Orange Font Line

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Haven't made a lot of progress, I've been helping my brother with an engine swap.
I have been ordering parts though. Got my steering wheel in last week. I got a plain horn button and my wife used vinyl and resin to inlay an emblem for me. Turned out pretty cool I think.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood

21 - 40 of 43 Posts