Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Matt's 66 coupe resto-mod build

6599 45
I've been meaning to start a build thread here for a while now, but never got around to it.

First the backstory:
I've got a 66 coupe that I've had since I was 15. My dad was driving and saw it sitting in a field, found out who the owner was and picked it up for $1500 in the late 90's. It was a factory C code with a/c, p/s, and C-4. The compressor was long gone by the time I got the car, but the under dash unit was in the trunk. The engine had been replaced by a reman 302 at some point, and it had several layers of paint under the faded cracking red.

The day we got it

It didn't take much to get the engine running, just a points file, plugs, and and some carb cleaning. I redid the interior, “patched” the floor pans, tried my hand at bodywork, and my Dad painted it. It was a 50 footer, but it ran good, turned heads and I drove it like that for a few years. Then my lack of body experience started showing through, and the oil pump picked up a piece of valve stem seal and locked the oil pump up tight. I replaced the oil pump, cleaned out the pan, and drove it a little more before it happened again.

Circa 2003

It sat for a while and then I decided to drop in a carbed roller 5.0 and T5. I did a front granada disc brake conversion and installed a 3.80 trak-lock center section. Also converted the car the manual steering after lots of trouble with the control valve and wanting better steering feel. Over the years I added headlight relays, 96 GT leather seats, and Duraspark ignition along with a 4-barrel carb and intake to replace the autolite 2100. We then resprayed the car again, addressing some of the body work, but not like we should have. Again I drove the car for a few years before some rust started bubbling up. The car needed body work, floor pans, front suspension and several small things, so it sat on the back burner while I focused on family, other hobbies, and other cars.

Circa 2010

Reactions: Huntingky
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Nice build. What Shelby apron did you go with and how was the fit?

Also, what steering wheel is that? Looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up the Shelby apron from CJ Pony parts a few years ago. I just have it temporarily mocked up at the moment but fit seems close. I will have to trim and fit it a little, but that's to be expected.
Wheel is a 14" Volante, also from CJ's

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Picked up a used 3D printer cheap last week, so I've been playing around with that.
I designed a Tach mount using Fusion 360 for the Speed Hut tach to clamp around the steering column.
Printed it this evening and it turned out pretty good I think. May need to tweak the dimensions a bit, but it works as intended.
Wood Art Font Tints and shades Circle

Magnifying glass Gauge Clock Magnifier Measuring instrument

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Bicycle part Tire

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I've gotten a little better at the 3D printer thing. Learning about how print rate, layer height, temps and other variables affect the final product. Also getting a better handle on Fusion 360. My second tach bracket turned out a lot nicer than the first.

Wood Tints and shades Auto part Circle Fashion accessory

Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Nail Wood

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I've been on quarantine the past 5 days as myself and my youngest tested positive for Corona. Thankfully our only symptoms are congestion, so I've used the time to work on the 66 and put on some of the parts I've been collecting. I installed new 4.5 leaf mid-eye springs to replace the stock ones. I also decided to ditch the dumps and mated Flowmaster tailpipes to my homemade exhaust. They fit surprisingly well after trimming a bit at the muffler side. I still have to put on the hangers, cut off the excess, and weld on tips.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Car Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Hood Rim

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I've also spent some time with body panels. Trying to get everything lined up right, get the gaps right, and get panels fitted. My factory doors were rotted badly in the bottom, so I pretty much had to replace them. I picked up some Goodmark doors a few years ago. They're not bad but the lines aren't as "crisp" in places and the leading edge of the driver side was off. I welded some thin rod along the edge and ground it to fix the gap. Got it mocked up so that it looks like a car again for the first time in a long time.

It's not gonna be perfect, as I'm no body man. But it will be solid and better than it was before.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tread

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive tire Wood

Automotive tire Wood Grey Gas Automotive exterior

41 - 46 of 46 Posts