Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm planning on piping an analog vacuum gague all the way to the dash off a tee on the carb port vac. Right now it's only hooked to the distributor (advance) and I'm wondering if there is a detrimental effect of adding 6ft of vac line. The larger the volume, the weaker the vacuum. Anybody know what that formula for our engines looks like?
Anyone have experience with how much tubing is too much?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
6ft of 1/8" ID tubing will have zero effect on the reading at the gauge.

Reactions: Blues Power

·
Registered
36,558 Posts
I don't see how that would negatively impact accuracy. There is no flow, so other than a minimal lag in reading, you should get an accurate reading.

Why are you connecting to ported vacuum? All that will tell you is vacuum applied to the advance, useful perhaps for adjusting the vacuum advance curve, but little use on the road or track. Manifold vacuum would be far more useful.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, my reply didnt come through. Sorry.

I was going to take ported vacuum to monitor the impact on the distributor, since that's currently part of my tuning effort. However, in the long run, I'll be going for intake, like you mention.

I have a T on the intake with PCV and tranny together. I am curious how much the PCV leak is affecting things... my tranny doesnt downshift anymore unless the kickdown is activated. I might have to separate out the 2...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts