Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 65 with a mild 289, with a/c and T-5 , that I plan on doing the 24" radiator conversion soon. I recently bought the MAXCORE aluminum 24" 2 row with 1.25" tubes via amazon, its still in the box . While I was visiting my daughter in Denton Texas , I messaged the guy that bought some of the new Radiators from the Dallas Mustang parts auction. I was able to pick up a new Griffin aluminum 24" 2 row with 1" tubes for a really good price. I live in Texas, so I want to make sure I don't have cooling issues down the road. Which one would work better for cooling, the Maxcore with the 1.25" tubes or the Griffin with 1" tubes?? I'm thinking the bigger the tubes the better cooling. I have the option to send the Maxcore back , via Amazon and use the Griffin or just use the Maxcore and sell the Griffin . Thoughts???? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N6K1NZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This link has the specs for the MAXCORE, but I got mine from Amazon https://buyacp.com/parts/maxcore-2-row-performance-aluminum-radiator-24-289-302-351-fm-er206/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-7-268BC-CAX/

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
From what I've read, a 2 row using 1.25" tubes will cool better than a 3 row using 1" tubes

·
Registered
801 Posts
The wider cores will cool better, so long as you can force air to flow through it. This means a good shroud, and electric fan or good thermal clutch with something like a 69-70 big-block 7 blade fan.

If there's very low, slow-flowing air, the extra fins and tube will just saturate the air with heat so it does nothing, when you're sitting still idling. At highway speeds, airflow from the car's movement will typically cool things off just fine.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
still trying to figure that out.
If using an electric fan, the extra 1/2" thickness of the radiator can make a difference between being able to use a good OEM type fan , versus a crappy thin aftermarket fan. I had to get creative to find 1/8" clearance.
But, yeah, it looked a bit strange to me also after the 10 minute edit time frame. :)

·
Spammer Hammer
10,819 Posts
I’m now open tracking my car with a two row 1.25” tube Griffin. It’s a really nice radiator...yet expensive. No complaints now that I have replaced the thermostat with a flow restrictor. However, I wouldn’t recommend that for street use.

SilverbluBP uses and has used a Northern for many years with great success.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to run around Denton in a 289 w/stock 3 core, 6 Blade fan and shroud - 66 AC PS AT no issues. Now in Houston, switched to the 2 core ACP Maxcore , shorter fan spacer, fan clutch 6 Blade Original FOMOCO fan (Not electric) and original fan shroud (you'll need the 4 Row Fan Mounting Kit) and so far running cool all day in traffic with AC on. I haven't spit water on the garage once after shutdown. Followed someones advice and didn't overfill the radiator. I have no 1st hand knowledge of the Griffin so I have no opinion. There's other threads about painting the radiator with Black Radiator paint if you want a more stock look. I have had no need for an electric fan with my stock 289 (w/EFI) with this setup.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts