Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I spend the $65 or so to buy a smaller fan, would anyone have the knowledge of what is the maximum size fan that would fit in the basic stock 66 fan shroud?

I am adding the shroud for the obvious reasons, currently I have a 18" six blade fan. The repro stock shroud is 20", but I think that measurement tapers down a few inches or so as the shroud extends towards the fan? (not totally sure if it really does taper?)

Can I get away with keeping the 18" fan or do I need to spend the money for a smaller one?

The 1966 Service manual specifies that the fan that came with the car was 17.5 inches-4blades-but the 66's w/o the AC didn't have the shroud. The Service manual makes no references in it to a shroud with or without AC.

If anyone knows this or could measure their stock type fan shroud opening for a 66, I would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just put an aluminum radiator on my 65 and it dropped the temp from 220 to 175/180. I was going to go with the shroud until I was talked into trying this route instead. My radiator was leaking so I had to trade it out anyway. I think it is the right way to go in a hot weather area like mine. It will be 95/100 for atleast 3 months here and mine is a daily driver. Wish I could answer your question but I don't know. On my last 65 I had a 16 inch HAyden with the shroud and it always ran hot in the summer as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts