Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The saga of painting my trailer continued this afternoon and evening. Still really hot here in Tucson, about 108 degrees and 30 percent humidity (I hate August). Chuck had my trailer all papered off for painting so we figured we could just repaint the gold stripe and be done with it. Yeah, right.....

First, his HVLP gun wouldn't work, no matter what he did. It worked fine the last time we used it just a couple of weeks ago. He could blow air through it, but it wouldn't pick up the paint. So after about 45 minutes of fighting that gun, we switched to his touchup gun. Well, he had loaned that out and it wasn't put back together correctly. Anyway, he finally got it straightened out and we went to pour the gold dust paint into the can. Uh oh, it had hardened completely!

I quickly mixed up a new batch and we got painting. It was getting too dark to see, so we had to open the garage bay door. Well, he's painting away and I'm checking the tape and paper to make sure it's sticking properly when suddenly we realized my new truck is right outside and the spray was heading that way. My other friend had been hard-wiring my CB and we had put the truck in the shade for him.

I jumped in my truck to move it, forgetting about the gold dust powder on my hands. To top it off, Dave had taken my keys in the house so I had to sit and wait before I could move my truck.

The end result: the trailer is beautiful, my truck sparkles inside (especially on the steering wheel), and we don't think it got overspray on it. All in a day's work for show preparation. Sheesh, I need some more cold beer. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Administrator
19,313 Posts
How about 'sLaw. That way when you load Murphy you'll have ........... with Trouble lurking in the background and the truck feeling put upon. Oh God stop me.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Oh my gosh, read my doofus post of tonight. WE are doing the same thing - painting in the heat and having paint gun problems. About that overspray. I know from experience that it comes off with Magueires polishing compounds, if you hit it with a quick swipe of lacquer thinner first. I overspayed the neightbors car with green, gold and clear when painting in the garage. forgot that the divider wall in our common garage did not go up to the roof. The overspray drifted over onto her brand new silver honda. She ran it through a car wash but it didn't come off, haha. Took about 3 hours, but the car was better than new.

As for the steering wheel, I've never tried to buff out a steering wheel. Guess you got to get the Grant quick release steering wheel! Or maybe a nice wooden one (oh right, you are in Arizona, make that a chrome chain rimmed steering wheel. haha).

Seriously sorry about all the problem, but glad it worked out. AS for the gun - here is my take as the symptom are exactly what I've encountered before. If you have paint solidified in the gun body, you will blow air through the gun, but no paint will come out. Also, a clogged filter will present the same symptoms. You have to pull off the air cap, unscrew the tip and examine the tip to see if the center hole is plugged. Also, pull the needle and lean it with lacquer thinner. AT this point, you can look into the body of the gun for litle balls of paint, or a completely clogged reservoir. You can also check out the filter, after pulling the cup.

Air comes out of the two side "arms" that are on the outside circumfereance of the air cap, and also the tiny holes in the air cap around the center hole. The paint comes out the center hole. The air shapes the fan of the paint as it comes out the center hole. If there is dried paint in the body/reservoir of the gun, you will have nothing coming out the hole in the tip. Of course, the simple problem is simply having the paint adjustment knob screwed in all the way, which closes the center hole by not allowing the needle to retract. Spin the knob on the back of the gun out almost all the way and the needle should retract. Another test is to unplug the gun from the air hose and put about an inch of lacquer thinner in the paint cup. When you pull the trigger the lacquer thinner should come out of the tip in a nice steady stream.

If you are shooting primer surfacer, that stuff has a pot life in heat like that of about 20 minutes. You have to run lacquer thinner through the gun between every new cup of paint, as well as cleaning out the cup. I've had the primer surfacer harden in the gun a couple of times when I forgot that little trick. Unlike the base color coat, putting in new primer does not thin out what is already in the gun. Hope this helps. good luck.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was so weird about this is that we never got any paint to spray out of the gun, but the air was obviously coming through. He took the gun completely apart, added thinner and tried to spray that--same result. We think there's a problem in the trigger, which may mean sending the gun in for repairs. It's just a pain, something we didn't need right now. But at least it all worked out. Once we put the clear over the gold, the gloss really came up and the paint looked great. I'm going to check my truck in the morning, but I think it's okay. I'll just use a little Lexol leather cleaner to get the sparkle off the leather interior, although I kind of like it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
hmmm. I hear you. These things seem to happen when a person has no time to deal with it. Glad to know your truck will turn out ok. The way the trigger works on the hvlp gun is that there is a brass cylinder shape block on the needle. The trigger grips this and pulls the needle back. I wonder if the bore of this "cylinder" needs cleaning and lubed with spray gun lube? Got my head a-scratching on that one. Good luck! AS always, good to read your posts. When are you and was it midlife, going to get married (haha?) p.s., one other trick on the gun - pull the needle completely out, with the rest of the gun assembled. Put lacquer thinner in the paint cup. The thinner should stream out of the cap of the gun. If not, you have a blockage in the tip or in the reservoir of the gun.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Gloom, despair and agony on me ...
Deep dark depression, excessive misery.
If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all ...
Gloom, despair and agony on me!

Remember that one? The youngsters around here will have no idea what I'm talking about *LOL*.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you can take the gun apart, try cleaning it with carb. cleaner from Auto Zone in the yellow can. We tried all kinds of solvents at work but none really worked. Then a new employee that paints cars on the side told us about this stuff. We use urethane paint and this stuff will loosen even baked on paint. Just keep it away from your new truck. And for the song lyrics posted here, I remember them well.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dos Equis, Pacifico, Foster's, Michelob....as long as it's cold! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drank way too much of that while in college! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts