Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
IMO it's stillborn. Others say there's tech problems that need to be solved and eventually will be. At this point, I wouldn't buy one for at least a year after it's eventual release to see how they hold up on the street. The T5 may not be the best tranny in the world, but at least we know what it can and can not do.

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was also my opinion, or at least what I was afraid of.

It just sounded just too good to be true wasn't it ?
More torque capacity, strong case, direct straight fit toploader dimensions, multiple shifter locations and above all, USA made and still cheaper than the competition. Sure got me all excited..

Guess I'll be ordering a G-Force soon.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
USA made and still cheaper than the competition.
Are you sure about the USA made? I was under the impression that it was designed by McLeod, but built in China. Not sure either way....

John

·
Registered
121 Posts
Keisler is now offering a modified T-45 rated at 600 foot pounds of torque. Supposed to not require any mods to bolt into a 67-70 mustang, not sure about the early models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personaly I don't care if it's made by Americans, Asians, Europeans or by his Scottish grandfather in a backyard shed, as long as it's a good well casted, strong shifting durable and affordable street transmission that suits my needs.

But anyway..
The whole "USA Made" story I got from this update posted a year ago, by Paul Lee -President of McLeod Racing himself.

McLeod Transmission update 4/6/10

2. Hey, we are trying our best to get it to market. No it is not ready because of some unforseen parts supplier circumstances beyond our control. I will personally not release it until it is 100% ready with all the right parts at the right price (AMERICAN MADE!). If I did that, then the same people who are bashing us now for not releasing it will be back in a hurry to bash us for releasing a product that is not 100% ready.
Read it by following this link
McLeod M-800 - any new info

Ofcourse things could have been changed over time but I do think that the whole "USA made" concept, the pricing and above all the quality of this transmission (to be) is part of a well thought marketing strategy to compete with a strong competition.
I mean look at the competition and their products, the Tremec TKO, G-force T-5, Richmond...all well proven and reliable products.
Mc Cleod the same, they have build a reputation with their current product lines , but now they introduce something new (for them) that better has to be real good. If not, the rest of their current productsales and their image will suffer from bad publicity too !
So I can imagine they will test it and change it until it's just what it should be, a damn fine strong tranny even if they have to delay it a year or two.

On the other hand, since Mc Cleod's Paul Lee said (at the Sema Show 2009) -"it's a whole new designed transmission, not copiëd from anything else"-, I can imagine that they simply lacked the skils, knowledge and experience to design a competetive transmission and therefore decided not to put it on the market after all.

although...

I've actually seen 'm on the Summit site for $1,998.99
It's still there but there's no additional info.
There seems to be a shipping date though. (???)
See for yourself..

McLeod RACING 8-2057 - McLeod RACING Transmissions - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Weird.. :shrug:

Keisler is now offering a modified T-45 rated at 600 foot pounds of torque. Supposed to not require any mods to bolt into a 67-70 mustang, not sure about the early models.
I thought the T45 had an integrated bellhousing ?
Sounds interesting if they managed to change that in a way so it'll fit a windsor pattern.
I'll go find out, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
9,215 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just had a look at the Keisler RS500 Ford 5 speed "DMc BULLET" Transmission with the 500HP/500TQ rating wich was posted above.

It looks like a sweet budget deal to me, if it wasn't for the fact that it seems only available with a .67 5th gear. (for now?)

I'm not looking for a fuel saving, low RPM highway cruise transmission, I need an extra gear without a huge Eco-RPM Gap between 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I did not like the difference in gears from 4th to 5th either. I solved the problem by going with a T56 6 speed. Best of both worlds IMO. 5th gear is like a road race tranny which is great for hwy use (55-65) and 6th is for cruising on the interstate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts