Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assembling the new MC/Pushrod, there was no way the retaining spring was going to go into the bore on the MC piston. Piston bore for the rod measured the same between the two MC's. The push rod diameter where the spring goes measured the same as well. Got to looking very closely at the spring and noticed it would not compress to small enough to go in the bore. I noticed the tangs (open end of spring) were resting squarely on the rod, so they would not go any further nor deflect. I bent the tangs in a little more so they would contact the rod at an angle and slip against it when compressed. At this point there was some galling on the bevel on the piston that still might have been keeping the rod from inserting. Swiped it with a little axle grease and it all went together like it was meant to. Never had this issue before. The previous MC just went together like it was supposed to. Burned up some daylight just because of the spring not being bent correctly at the ends. New Raybestos MC36440. Made in China. Quality is just a big word that begins with 'Q' apparently. Hopefully that's the only thing wrong with this part. Now back to routing the new rear line...

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
Most likely a case of the spring in question being used on every single application that uses that design..... basically generic,
with some bad copying of some technical specifications (like piston ID bore, push rod, etc).
Doesn't surprise me. When dealing with Chinese suppliers, if eight pages of technical specs/drawings is enough ANYWHERE
else, you'll need twelve in China.
I'm basically not a fan......

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 2 of 2 Posts