Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
A friend and I went to the show in Fredericksburg, VA yesterday, saw some amazing cars and talked to a lot of great people. Here are some pics of my favorites. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first car is obviously the Bullitt Mustang that will go up for auction at Mecum. I saw it when it was displayed at the National Mall a couple of years ago, but it was enclosed in a glass case. The red Boss 9 is gorgeous and just finished a three year restoration. The white 65 is Blizzard which was built by the Ring Brothers. Has a NASCAR engine in it and is an unbelievable build, loved it. The Ivy Green fastback is Richard Porter’s K Code, such an amazing restoration with no detail skipped. The Poppy Red fastback is also a K Code that was just perfect. Gaps are amazing, paint is gorgeous and the owner was a super nice guy. There was also a gorgeous 66 GT350H that the owner had since 1970. For some reason I spent so much time talking to the gentleman that I forgot to take a picture.

My buddy has a 2011 Roush, so we also talked with a bunch of Roush owners as well. What a passionate group they are.

While I loved so many of these cars, I can’t imagine owning one and never driving it. I drove my ‘66 the three hour round trip and she was flawless. Cruises at 65 mph at just about 2000 rpm and I got about 15 mpg. We parked in the display area. It was a fun day.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Thanks so much for letting me visit vicariously ! !
I hope to drive mine today just for some Smiles Per Gallon.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Well, my first MCA show.... I too drove my car down early Saturday morning-in line to get in at 730, checked in by nice people, they had me sign a waiver, verified I had a fire extinguisher in the green, directed me where to park (2 spots per car) All good so far....except, I filled out the modification forms wrong, somehow I missed the headings that they were broken down into 5 categories-engine bay, interior, trunk, exterior, and undercarriage...the 2 judges that came over around 3 were kind enough to say lets go take a break inside and let you redo these correctly. So far so good...now, everything I was worried about was nothing they were concerned over. They did not care that the car is a k code gt automatic and the paint and interior are the original color. The vin discrepancy didn't matter either. I did not realize that my trunk had to be open and empty, no biggie except, I don't have the torsion bar to hold the lid up, mia after the restoration, so I just use a prop board, lol....my category was modified 66 with undercarriage..I knew I was in trouble at the table when we were writing down all the added items...for example, I said oh, in addition to the oval cobra air cleaner and valve covers I have a cobra oil pan...the one judge replied that didn't matter because if they can't see it on the car, it doesn't get you extra points...hmmmm, got to the trunk and I said I have a 22 gallon tank...no, we cant tell....I said sure you can, stock is flush with the floor...when they were going over the car one judge advised the other that you could tell it was bigger than the stock tank as I had cut the floor to modify it....I politely explained, no the floor is as they all are, just that the tank sits up several inches higher....oh...I learned that they really liked the car, the components and my workmanship, however.....it just wasn't spit-polished clean enough...I don't know what year cars they own, but they did talk about their cars getting judged and so I know they have mustangs and are into it big time....We discussed that I drive the car in all kinds of weather, etc etc,, and thats fine, just need to get a q-tip and tooth brush into all the nooks and crannies better.....water spots and unwiped down areas..sigh...The car is basically as clean as I'm going to make it, so, in looking at many of the beautiful cars there it is apparent the difference between my car and the fastidiously detailed cars.........Ken did warn me of how much value is placed on that. I left at the end of the day and will follow up later to see what the car scored....I still had fun and talked with alot of people, enjoyed all the cars! 20190831_094019[1].jpg

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
The first car is obviously the Bullitt Mustang that will go up for auction at Mecum. I saw it when it was displayed at the National Mall a couple of years ago, but it was enclosed in a glass case. The red Boss 9 is gorgeous and just finished a three year restoration. The white 65 is Blizzard which was built by the Ring Brothers. Has a NASCAR engine in it and is an unbelievable build, loved it. The Ivy Green fastback is Richard Porter’s K Code, such an amazing restoration with no detail skipped. The Poppy Red fastback is also a K Code that was just perfect. Gaps are amazing, paint is gorgeous and the owner was a super nice guy. There was also a gorgeous 66 GT350H that the owner had since 1970. For some reason I spent so much time talking to the gentleman that I forgot to take a picture.
Yes,
My buddy has a 2011 Roush, so we also talked with a bunch of Roush owners as well. What a passionate group they are.

While I loved so many of these cars, I can’t imagine owning one and never driving it. I drove my ‘66 the three hour round trip and she was flawless. Cruises at 65 mph at just about 2000 rpm and I got about 15 mpg. We parked in the display area. It was a fun day.
Yes Richard's K is a beaut. He gave me a few tips when I was going through my restoration years ago ('96-2004). Our club has a wealth of talent. I wish our forum (NCRMC) was still as active as it once was. Not sure why it's not more active?

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Well, my first MCA show.... I too drove my car down early Saturday morning-in line to get in at 730, checked in by nice people, they had me sign a waiver, verified I had a fire extinguisher in the green, directed me where to park (2 spots per car) All good so far....except, I filled out the modification forms wrong, somehow I missed the headings that they were broken down into 5 categories-engine bay, interior, trunk, exterior, and undercarriage...the 2 judges that came over around 3 were kind enough to say lets go take a break inside and let you redo these correctly. So far so good...now, everything I was worried about was nothing they were concerned over. They did not care that the car is a k code gt automatic and the paint and interior are the original color. The vin discrepancy didn't matter either. I did not realize that my trunk had to be open and empty, no biggie except, I don't have the torsion bar to hold the lid up, mia after the restoration, so I just use a prop board, lol....my category was modified 66 with undercarriage..I knew I was in trouble at the table when we were writing down all the added items...for example, I said oh, in addition to the oval cobra air cleaner and valve covers I have a cobra oil pan...the one judge replied that didn't matter because if they can't see it on the car, it doesn't get you extra points...hmmmm, got to the trunk and I said I have a 22 gallon tank...no, we cant tell....I said sure you can, stock is flush with the floor...when they were going over the car one judge advised the other that you could tell it was bigger than the stock tank as I had cut the floor to modify it....I politely explained, no the floor is as they all are, just that the tank sits up several inches higher....oh...I learned that they really liked the car, the components and my workmanship, however.....it just wasn't spit-polished clean enough...I don't know what year cars they own, but they did talk about their cars getting judged and so I know they have mustangs and are into it big time....We discussed that I drive the car in all kinds of weather, etc etc,, and thats fine, just need to get a q-tip and tooth brush into all the nooks and crannies better.....water spots and unwiped down areas..sigh...The car is basically as clean as I'm going to make it, so, in looking at many of the beautiful cars there it is apparent the difference between my car and the fastidiously detailed cars.........Ken did warn me of how much value is placed on that. I left at the end of the day and will follow up later to see what the car scored....I still had fun and talked with alot of people, enjoyed all the cars! View attachment 720688

...so where's is your pic, or did I miss it?

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Any of the attendees know of a list of the division winners that's going to be available? May need to check with NCRMC?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@geicoman58 I saw your car there, but didn’t realize it was you. Would have liked to say hello.

I watched a woman clean her wheel and tire for at least 30 minutes. This was ONE wheel! While she was doing that, her husband was working on other parts of the car. All of this on a car that probably rarely sees the road and likely never sees inclement weather. While I appreciate a clean car and like to keep my rides clean, this will never be me. I’m not cut out for the car show circuit. I’m glad other folks are though, because I sure enjoy seeing the products of their labor. In the mean time, I’m out driving!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Richard's K is a beaut. He gave me a few tips when I was going through my restoration years ago ('96-2004). Our club has a wealth of talent. I wish our forum (NCRMC) was still as active as it once was. Not sure why it's not more active?
Yeah, I also reached out to Richard seeking his advice and he was very willing to help. I wanted to say hello and thank him in person, but I never saw him near the car.

I did talk with Rick from American High Performance.

I agree about the forum, wish it was more active.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts

The Red 69 was definitely a nice car but was blowing off a little steam when they pulled it in Friday. Sounds like they probably didn't get the opportunity to work out all the bugs with it. That 70 beside it was a very good looking car with an interesting story. The lady was the original owner, said you'll never see another in that color and that it wasn't offered as a 70 factory color. It is however the original paint and she work at a dealer after graduating school, employees were allowed to order other Ford colors. I forget what actual color she said it was though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Grabber70Mach Great pictures! That is a great story about the 70. I remember seeing it while mwah talking to the owner of the red car and his son. I didn’t realize how unique the color is. With so many great cars there it was hard to see them all. Plus my buddy and I had to leave at noon. With more time we could have paid more attention.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Hey grabber70mach, thats my car in post 13, photo 5............the dirty, rode hard and put away wet, red 66 fastback, lol! if i ever go as a judged car again I may spend more time polishing everything in the engine bay and whatever else the judges didn't like, but then again...I will say that I think the concourse crowd cars are harder to build and maintain than my tastefully modified k code. We will see how the 65 hardtop I am restoring basically stock for my wife turns out, it will get one MCA show after its finished, then it will become a clean driver. i will also take off from work and do the whole 3 days or whatever....i did learn alot and had a good time...just surprised at how little the one judge knew about 65-66 mustangs....he knew clean and spotless vs not clean and spotless when he saw it though!

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Hey grabber70mach, thats my car in post 13, photo 5............the dirty, rode hard and put away wet, red 66 fastback, lol! if i ever go as a judged car again I may spend more time polishing everything in the engine bay and whatever else the judges didn't like, but then again...I will say that I think the concourse crowd cars are harder to build and maintain than my tastefully modified k code. We will see how the 65 hardtop I am restoring basically stock for my wife turns out, it will get one MCA show after its finished, then it will become a clean driver. i will also take off from work and do the whole 3 days or whatever....i did learn alot and had a good time...just surprised at how little the one judge knew about 65-66 mustangs....he knew clean and spotless vs not clean and spotless when he saw it though!

Here she is........if, I may be so bold!

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude, that thing is filthy.....

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
...the one judge replied that didn't matter because if they can't see it on the car, it doesn't get you extra points...hmmmm, got to the trunk and I said I have a 22 gallon tank...no, we cant tell....I said sure you can, stock is flush with the floor...when they were going over the car one judge advised the other that you could tell it was bigger than the stock tank as I had cut the floor to modify it....I politely explained, no the floor is as they all are, just that the tank sits up several inches higher....oh...I learned that they really liked the car, the components and my workmanship, however.....it just wasn't spit-polished clean enough...
So the qualifications to be a judge are what... work at a car wash? How many early Mustang owners don't know about swapping gas tanks?Sounds like they were shivy guys.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts