Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do they never return your e-mails. I have sent over & over again the question of exactly what it takes to get a gold card & is it worth the trouble. Are they too busy for 'lil old me? Not to be a braggart but I have one of the best unrestored '65's around with more documentation that you can shake the proverbial stick at. Since I can't seem to sell it, gonna try showing it again. I'm beginning to think I should stay out of the MCA & go back to the NHRA, at least there I know why I'm an underdog LOL. I appreciate any seroius input. Also, is it me or do they really seem to not be interested in anything west of the Mississippi? I'm in Oklahoma & was hoping for another show in K.C. I'm not going to go all the way to Ga. to find out I'm p..... well you know.
70 Cyclone Spoiler 429 SCJ 4:30 Drag-pak
65 Mustang show car one-owner Un-restored
65 Mustang one-owner
66 Mustang 8-second street legal drag car
90 GT next drag car
68 Hurst Olds 455 4-speed
86 SVO
85 Porsche 944
98 Jeep Wrangler
95 F-150
76 20' E-350 motor home
Too many parts cars to mention

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Maybe this a DUH kind of question, but did you contact any of the judges on the MCA page, instead of the general MCA email.
[color:blue]Here's</font color=blue> the judges page from the MCA site.

Please don't give up on MCA yet. Many people including VMFer Laurie Slawson are working very hard to get it spread further around the country. I'm keeping my hopes up as I believe in the basic goodness and need of a national organization.

·
Registered
406 Posts
First, I would question who you are emailing regarding becoming a Gold Card Judge; the site webmaster, the Head Judge, Assistant Head Judges, other Gold Card Judges? I receive 2-3 emails a week regarding judging questions/opinions and they all get a response within 2 days.

I am not sure how familiar you are with becoming an MCA judge, so I will highlight the basic steps.

1. You have to want to judge Mustangs objectively. This takes more than most judges-in-the-making realize.
2. You must understand the MCA rule book and the year(s) you want to judge.
3. You must request for and pass a written judging test to become a Certified Judge. The tests, by year, are available from the appropriate Assistant Head Judges.
4. You must judge under the supervision of several different Gold Card Judges at several events. There is not a set number of events, but I know of very few who have reached the Gold Card level with less than 5 judging events. Expect to judge with other Certified and Gold Card Judges at 7-10 MCA events before becoming a Gold Card Judge.
5. You must have at least 2 recommendations (usually written to the Assistant Head Judge) from appropriate Gold Card Judges attesting to your knowledge of the class and overall fairness and objectivity.
6. The appropriate Assistant Head Judge must believe that you are capable of conducting yourself as an expert and mentor to other Mustangers. At this time, the Assistant Head Judge will either raise you to the Gold Card level or explain why he is not ready to do so.

Being a Gold Card Judge does take alot of time and one can loose the status by not judging, poor conduct, or lack of objectivity, to say the least. I know of 1 Gold Card Judge who just recently lost his Gold Card status because of a lack of objectivity while judging.

As for your comments about the East Coast centricity of the MCA...this organization as with any organization is not perfect. Many things in the past, both good and bad, have shaped where the organization is today. We realize that we have a long way to go to truely be national. If there is something you don't like about the MCA, then become involved and help be the catalyst for change. No one is saying that changes will occur over night, but perseverance will pay off (just ask Laurie Slawson).

Regards,

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I would suggest that you direct your request to National Head Judge Wes Alford email - [email protected] with a copy to President Bill Johnson email- [email protected]
Wes' Snail mail address and phone number is:
Wes Alford (11566)
7537 Cross Village Dr
Germantown, TN 38138
Phone: (901) 755-7018

Also to have a national show in the west a club must apply for for the show and right now they are not applying.

·
Administrator
19,514 Posts
I don't really need to add anything to what has been said here, and said quite well.

We're working on making MCA a truly national club, but it's not going to happen overnight. We have to convince midwest and western clubs to apply for shows; however, currently, the shows are scheduled through 2003. Since you're in Oklahoma, you might want to check out the National in Houston in 2003, I know I'll be at that one.

MCA is taking applications for the 2004 show schedule right now--the cutoff date for submittal is September 1st of this year. So far, applications have been submitted from several clubs in the midwest, including Illinois, and I believe, Indiana. I'd love to see a California club apply, it would be so nice to travel west instead of east to a National for a change.

If you still have problems getting through to the appropriate judges at MCA for the certification test, let me know, and I'll try and help.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Laurie,

There are at least two sizable clubs (BCMC & MOCC) I know of here in Southern California with MCA affiliation. There is some legitimate concern about how well a full blown MCA show will do here in terms of attendance vs. cost/effort. Also, while we do have some incredibly restored vehicles west of the Missippippi, we have very few people who have experience putting on a concourse show. How could/would the MCA be willing to assist in making a show of that caliber a possibility?

·
Administrator
19,514 Posts
Shan, just to repeat what I said in the e-mail so the forum members don't think I'm ignoring you, I'll get the info for you. MCA is responsible for supervising the judging at all National and Grand National shows. The club provides the head judges and other support directly at the show. You also will have participation by Gold Card judges who must judge at two shows a year to maintain their status. The great shows that have been put on in southern California in recent years (like the Queen Mary Show) are very much like National shows already--especially in the number and quality of the participating cars. I believe that your shows would be very easy to turn into a National and you will have MCA help with judging, insurance, and other items. I'm on the MCA National Show committee so I'll be glad to help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me clear up a couple of things. I don't want to be a judge. It's a time consuming, thankless job that must be done & it takes a better man than me to do it, my thanks to them all. Second, I did e-mail the Gold card judge in my class as I know quite a lot about web sites & the internet being a poor excuse for a webmaster LOL. My main interest is what I need to do to aquire a Gold card in 64 1/2 to 65 unrestored. I appreciate all the answers & believe I have the means to find what I need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts