Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

There is a MCA National show in Youngstown today, tomorrow and Sunday. Is anyone planing on attending? I will be there Sat & Sun. with my car in the Street Driven class. It is located at the Holiday Inn Metroplex, 1620 Motor Inn Drive in Girard.

If anyones going see you there.

Mike

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi mike, Glad to see there will be someone other than me there from PA.The family and I will be pulling out of Allison park. PA around 8:00,We should get there around 9:30.My car will be in the street driven class also but it will show up on a trailer only due to the kids won't tolorate the back seat of the fastback for that long.. Hope to see you there. BoB

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
I just want to warn you, street-driven entries can't be trailered at MCA National and Grand National shows. You can enter the modified class and be trailered, but not street driven. It's a point we've argued against out here in the west to no avail because of the great distances we have to travel to shows with our cars.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Can I change my class at the show?? I wasn't clear on what class I should have applied for.My car is mostly stock with only minor modifications.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Yes, talk with the head judge when you go through the technical inspection, or before (even better). You only need three modifications to go in the modified class.

If they know you trailered and you don't change your class two things could happen, both bad. They could put you in concours trailered or someone could challenge you and any award would be forfeited.

There also is a penalty rule for people who try to sneak driven cars into shows by trailering nearby and then driving to the show (I'm not saying you're doing that, btw!). /forums/images/icons/smile.gif You can't enter an MCA show for either one or two years, I don't remember which it is. Best to get into the modified class. Good luck!

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
The thoroughbreds are the ultimate in trailer queens. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

This class is trailered concours with the additional factor being that no reproduction parts are allowed. It's definitely a rich man's game. The cars typically are beautiful but run like you know what, if they even run at all. There are, of course, exceptions, but because of the cost and rarity of the parts, the cars are rarely driven except in and out of the trailers. I've even seen a few that were pushed into place and winched back into their trailers.

My coupe may ride in a trailer, but it's also a driven car. I prefer it that way--besides I can't afford to go thoroughbred.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
BTW, I meant to tell you--your car is beautiful! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Laurie is correct on trailering here. As far as a solution to trailering a street car, how do you tell the person whom did drive 1000+ miles in rain, etc that he/she took second to a trailered car? Adding another class would not be the best solution, we have too many class now, and sometimes they don;t fill up enough.

G

·
0 Posts
One correction on modifieds. It takes five mods to be a modified car. Also we generally assist those whom were unaware of the rules, and gracefully help them out and understand the class change. Otherwise the owner has a choice of being disqualified for the event. I do not know of anyone whom has been suspended from show for one year due to trailering a street car. This would have to be someone who continues to be defiant show after show and after understanding the rules and basically someone whom has issues about awards and not the fun of being at the event. The HJ's work desperately hard to make the show a friendly, understanding and learning experience.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Just curious, is this a new rule change to the modified classes, requiring five modifications? The last I heard was three, and I want to keep up with the changes as one of our club members is entering the modified, undercarriage judged class at the GN.

I remember reading a couple of years ago about a member who received the blackball penalty for trailering his car. Seems to me he was entering concours driven classes but was trailering to a nearby motel and then driving into the show. He was caught once and then the second time he received the penalty.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Yes, that's the problem. However, when I used to trailer on an open flatbed my car got just as dirty as if I had driven it. It's pretty incredible the dirt that can be thrown onto a trailered car by passing semis, especially in the rain. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I even had a windshield scoured by sand to the point it had to be replaced after a one-day trip--and that was with a front shield on the trailer. Not a problem anymore with the enclosed trailer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
As far as I remember this has always been 5 mods. As for the person whom qualified for any suspension, obviously knew what they were doing. I feel it's unfortunate that alot of first time National attendees don't get the trailer info before hand. I try to assist all those 1st timers. Unfortunately we can never tell whom will decide, and most of these folks generally last minute decide and Uhaul becomes the best answer but i am suggesting an idea that may help soon.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Yes, this person was deliberately trying to get around the rule, if I remember the story right.

I know the MCA judging rules describe the trailering rule, but a lot of first-timers don't have a copy of the rules. I'm hoping that once Jim gets the new website up and running that info like that can be made available online. We want to encourage people to attend the shows, not discourage them by having rules, classing, or judging problems that can be prevented.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts