Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, things don't look good. The boss just told me that I can spend no more money on the car. She doesn't understand how I could spend so much money on an old junky car. That is what she says anyway. So I guess that puts a little bit of a hault to my stroker. I guess I will just have to nit pick things, upgrade as I go. She is serious this time, so I guess I have to go with the flow...... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with felix and from personal exp.. don't push or you may end up losing the project or the wife. I lost one project that way. I'll have to keep the mustang if it comes down too it again. jk latman

·
Registered
378 Posts
buy her something that looks like it was expensive but isnt /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Use the "money" you spent on it to buy more mustang parts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I say sell that thing, (the wife). Stand up and be a man, let her know who's boss, you are the King and it's your decision to make not hers!!

(Yeah, and if my wife read this she'd cut my genetailia off with a dull knife and fry it up for dinner, uhh, you're not going to tell her..... right? ................. *G*)

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
David, Listen to her, she right. In your bio your a still in school there's a reason in most cases the old farts have some of the nicest rides. Just takes a while to get your feet on the ground and at somepoint money will not be an issue for you and you can do whatever you want with car and or cars. But as for know sounds like she's a keeper, someday you'll have the money and the wife.

Mark

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Don't push it. A good marriage is worth far more than any car! Slow down and do things gradually. Make sure you are showing concern about paying the day to day expenses and are living up to your other obligations. Then as she sees that you are being responsible about spending you will see her attitude change. Lead by example not force or a loud voice. marriage is team work, you gotta pull together.
This is 22 years of marriage talking! Sleeping alone suck-didly-ucks

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good advice from the guys above. Time and consideration for SWMBO works wonders. Take me for example. I've been putting off doing some work on my '83 vert. Wife keeps asking when I'm going to get it done. This didn't happen 35 years ago when we were newlyweds. Of course, that may have been because we had to borrow my folks car for our honeymoon because I ws rebuilding the Falcon's 289.

Be patient and remember cars are bought and sold every day. A marriage is for a lifetime.

Bob

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I know what you are going through. Same thing here. We now have something in common: SWMBO's who are not as crazy about our stangs as we are. Like one of the posters mentioned, timing and consideration is everything. My stang is basically a 5 year project because of lack of money. So I accept that and nickel and dime the project the best I can. I get to spend about $1500/year if I'm lucky. However, I have a wonderful wife and family and she works with me...of course I have to do her projects also. We will have been married 17 years this summer, so a big fight over the car just isn't worth it. One day....the car WILL hit the road though. Just let a little time pass and work with SWMBO, she will help you out.

G

·
0 Posts
My SHMBO is not a stang fan but she is willing to put up with it as I have owned the car for 22 years now. But I must confess to make things easy I put off restoring my car saved money and bought her the car she always wanted but I am lucky it was a 76 T/A 50th Ann. I know it's not a Stang but we both are car fans of all makes so we can enjoy it until the stang is done.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hey mytoys,
sometimes us old farts would sooner have youth and nagging wives than our rides. Come up and see me.
jazzbo

·
7,014 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not saying "money is no object", but I haven't had too much trouble spending cash on my car. Where I get into trouble is TIME. If I don't make it back in from the barn in time to help put the kids to bed, and read them a story...then I'm in the doghouse BIG TIME! Also, anything over about 12 hours per weekend get's me the cold shoulder.

With regard to the original post though, I'd recommend you cool off for a day or two, then sit down and take a look at your finances. Figure out what you're priorities are and see if there is any money left. If there is, budget a monthly amount to go towards the car. There has to be something. Maybe it's $30 per month? Maybe it's $100 per month? You'll have to actually put a pencil to it...but then you can spend some cash without getting into trouble every time.

Good luck!

Phil

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Dave,
20 years of living single before marrying gave me a couple of insights...

I spent my money, built my cars, did my racing before getting married; now I happily focus my attention on my marriage and the cars, for the most part, just sit.

In those 20 years I learned to take a balanced view of things; learned to see things from another's perspective. I also learned not to be a doormat.

I hope you'll remember that, if your wife loves you, she'll repsect you for being true to your goals and ambitions in life, and won't begrudge you them. I hope you feel the same way about her. Don't be afraid of standing up for yourself, if you believe your position to be reasonable. Often, new ideas and approaches can come from these conflicts, if the participants are mature in their approach.

If the family isn't getting food on the table because of car parts, I wholeheartedly agree with her....If you all live comfortably and this remains a thorn in her side, I would be more concerned. A possible solution would be for you to take on some side work, if money is the issue, and denote that money for the car. My wife does that for scrapbooking, which can easily be as expensive as car building.

I don't know your age, but can say with certainty that, if had married in my 20's, I would have likely ended up a basket case and likely divorced....I'm just lucky I stayed single and figured myself out before involving someone else full time.

Best of luck to you on all fronts!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
She does her things (her kitchen), I do mine (in garage).

hehehe...my big mistake early on was letting my wife know how many things I could do (like just about everything a contractor can)..

Now it's "When you build this new cabinet for my 30" oven/microwave" and "When you move that wall" and "when you put in that new sliding door and dual pane windows"...

Sometimes ignorance is bliss and stupidity is an advantage...*G*

No wonder I don't have time to do more than a tune up on my car...sure glad I raced all those years...

·
Registered
522 Posts
She does her things (her kitchen), I do mine (in garage).

That's why I got her a new house how she want it. That I don't need to work on it for a few years. This will give me a time to finish my stang.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts