Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

· VMF Ambassador
7,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

It was Jane's 55th birthday the other day and I'm insane so I bought my car a birthday present because I felt that if I didn't, it would come back to bite me in the ass. This year's gift: a ME Wagner dual flow PCV valve!

In my defense, I actually was in the market for a new PCV valve as I had swapped to a fixed-orifice valve at some point a few years ago when struggling against the Holley Terminator I had installed. I later found out my problems were due to a warped intake and associated massive vacuum leak, fixed that, and all was well. But I totally forgot about the PCV valve and the old one has gone MIA by now. I re-remembered about this weirdo PCV valve in December, after the front RTV seal on the intake blew out and I was getting a huge amount of blow-by even when cruising at reasonable speeds across the state (I've never been opposed to a little blow-by when cruising at UNreasonable speeds). A ton of people recommended this ME Wagner valve so I decided I'd look into it.

At $129, this is PRICEY. But when you're buying your car its annual 'please take care of me this year' present, $129 is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. So I pulled the trigger on it.

For those who are not in the know, the ME Wagner dual flow PCV valve is (to my knowledge) the only dual-flow PCV valve on the market that can be tuned to fit your car's needs. It has an idle circuit and a cruise circuit, each of which opens parts of the valve a specified amount to handle vapors produced both at idle and cruise. The reason this is great is because it allows you to specifically tune for the amount of vacuum your motor produces at idle (low flow state), and then specify the point at which it should swap into the cruise circuit (high flow state) for maximum blow-by recovery. Thus, you are able to tune the flow rate and profile to fit your engine. Theoretically, this should optimize your crankcase ventilation, keeping your oil cleaner, reducing crankcase pressure, significantly reducing or eliminating blow-by, and reducing emissions as well.

So, on to the part where I actually got my hands on it! The thing showed up with a box packed FULL of instructions and baggies of parts. The valve itself is a work of art, being precision-machined from a block of billet aluminum. But I'll be honest, it kind of pales in comparison to the rest of the box contents. I did not expect to receive a 5-page "shop manual" for a simple PCV valve, nor did I expect it to come with every single part needed to tune it (including Allen wrenches, spare springs, spare set screws, etc.). The parts needed for each tuning step were sorted into their own little baggies, with slips of paper in them telling you exactly what they were for and what to do with them. I mean, whoever put together this kit was a perfectionist in every way. Seriously impressive!

Tuning proceeded very quickly because the instructions were dead easy to follow. Warm the motor up, read off the engine idle vacuum, consult a chart to determine how far to screw in the idle circuit screw, hook up the vacuum gauge to the dedicated PCV cruise tuning port, adjust cruise screw to appropriately set idle-to-cruise transition and flow rate, pull the vacuum gauge off, hook the PCV up as normal, and off you go. The whole thing took me about 10 minutes. I didn't even take pictures because they would not have been any more helpful than the instructions were. Again, hugely impressed!

Now after this I did need to adjust my throttle body EFI idle screw down a bit, as it was trying to idle a little high after installation. But beyond that, no other changes needed. Quite honestly, I did not expect to see any measurable change in... well, anything, after install. I mean, it's just a PCV valve. My only expectation of it was that next time I was out on the highway running hard, I wouldn't come home and have oil dripping all over the headers.

Remarkably, though, the PCV valve did actually improve my drive quality! I have no idea why, but something about the different metering of vacuum or flow rates or something makes the EFI a lot happier. Believe me, I have no illusions about how well I have my EFI tuned - last time I messed with it, I got the tune about 80% of the way there, and then called it "close enough". So I've always kind of had a bit of an erratic idle surge (much of which was improved by milling my intake plenum down in December), a bit of a stumble here and there on acceleration, whatever. It has never bothered me enough to want to get back in the wrestling ring with the software for another round. But for whatever reason, this new PCV has caused my idle to smooth out almost completely, and driving seems much more crisp without the odd occasional stumble. I can only assume that because the EFI relies in part on vacuum signal to distribute fuel, something about the fixed orifice didn't allow it to calculate correctly so maybe it was always trying to figure out where it was at in the profile?? I truly have no idea. But, now the car drives better, which is a very nice unexpected side effect of this installation.

Of course, if you're carbureted or have a TBI that relies on mass air flow (MAF) rather than manifold air pressure (MAP), then likely this won't do a dang thing for your tune/drivability. It'll just clean up your oil, prevent oil leaks, and kick blow-by to the curb 🤷‍♀️ Shucks.

Anyways, to sum up: If you're looking to reduce blow-by, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket, if you like shiny new things, and/or if you just really love well-written instructions... the ME Wagner dual flow PCV valve is a total win!

· Premium Member
15,528 Posts
I first used the Wagner product nearly 10 years ago on my K code’s then new Weber carb set up. Due to the low idle vacuum of the 4 Weber IDA carbs, I did have tuning difficulty with the Wagner kit. The parts included with the PCV kit did not cover the vacuum extremes of the Weber’s.

One call to the Wagner’s and soon they shipped out an “experimental” valve & optional springs, etc, and at zero extra cost to me . And from that point began including the extra parts in their product’s kit.

Great men to talk to, and always had thoughtful insights when presented with a new issue to be worked thru.

Z

PS. anyone thinking about this product would be well served to do a forum search of “Wagner PCV”. There are numerous members who have had very positive drivability improvements after the installation.

· Registered
7,697 Posts
I was part of the group buy, still in the box. I’m glad to know it will work though!

· Registered
697 Posts
It was me that organized that group buy and Ill do it again if there’s enough interest as ill go for another one..And we had over 15 buy it here..
I would be in for 2 of them If you decide to do a group buy.
LJ

· Registered
370 Posts
Hi all,

It was Jane's 55th birthday the other day and I'm insane so I bought my car a birthday present because I felt that if I didn't, it would come back to bite me in the ass. This year's gift: a ME Wagner dual flow PCV valve!

In my defense, I actually was in the market for a new PCV valve as I had swapped to a fixed-orifice valve at some point a few years ago when struggling against the Holley Terminator I had installed. I later found out my problems were due to a warped intake and associated massive vacuum leak, fixed that, and all was well. But I totally forgot about the PCV valve and the old one has gone MIA by now. I re-remembered about this weirdo PCV valve in December, after the front RTV seal on the intake blew out and I was getting a huge amount of blow-by even when cruising at reasonable speeds across the state (I've never been opposed to a little blow-by when cruising at UNreasonable speeds). A ton of people recommended this ME Wagner valve so I decided I'd look into it.

At $129, this is PRICEY. But when you're buying your car its annual 'please take care of me this year' present, $129 is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. So I pulled the trigger on it.

For those who are not in the know, the ME Wagner dual flow PCV valve is (to my knowledge) the only dual-flow PCV valve on the market that can be tuned to fit your car's needs. It has an idle circuit and a cruise circuit, each of which opens parts of the valve a specified amount to handle vapors produced both at idle and cruise. The reason this is great is because it allows you to specifically tune for the amount of vacuum your motor produces at idle (low flow state), and then specify the point at which it should swap into the cruise circuit (high flow state) for maximum blow-by recovery. Thus, you are able to tune the flow rate and profile to fit your engine. Theoretically, this should optimize your crankcase ventilation, keeping your oil cleaner, reducing crankcase pressure, significantly reducing or eliminating blow-by, and reducing emissions as well.

So, on to the part where I actually got my hands on it! The thing showed up with a box packed FULL of instructions and baggies of parts. The valve itself is a work of art, being precision-machined from a block of billet aluminum. But I'll be honest, it kind of pales in comparison to the rest of the box contents. I did not expect to receive a 5-page "shop manual" for a simple PCV valve, nor did I expect it to come with every single part needed to tune it (including Allen wrenches, spare springs, spare set screws, etc.). The parts needed for each tuning step were sorted into their own little baggies, with slips of paper in them telling you exactly what they were for and what to do with them. I mean, whoever put together this kit was a perfectionist in every way. Seriously impressive!

Tuning proceeded very quickly because the instructions were dead easy to follow. Warm the motor up, read off the engine idle vacuum, consult a chart to determine how far to screw in the idle circuit screw, hook up the vacuum gauge to the dedicated PCV cruise tuning port, adjust cruise screw to appropriately set idle-to-cruise transition and flow rate, pull the vacuum gauge off, hook the PCV up as normal, and off you go. The whole thing took me about 10 minutes. I didn't even take pictures because they would not have been any more helpful than the instructions were. Again, hugely impressed!

Now after this I did need to adjust my throttle body EFI idle screw down a bit, as it was trying to idle a little high after installation. But beyond that, no other changes needed. Quite honestly, I did not expect to see any measurable change in... well, anything, after install. I mean, it's just a PCV valve. My only expectation of it was that next time I was out on the highway running hard, I wouldn't come home and have oil dripping all over the headers.

Remarkably, though, the PCV valve did actually improve my drive quality! I have no idea why, but something about the different metering of vacuum or flow rates or something makes the EFI a lot happier. Believe me, I have no illusions about how well I have my EFI tuned - last time I messed with it, I got the tune about 80% of the way there, and then called it "close enough". So I've always kind of had a bit of an erratic idle surge (much of which was improved by milling my intake plenum down in December), a bit of a stumble here and there on acceleration, whatever. It has never bothered me enough to want to get back in the wrestling ring with the software for another round. But for whatever reason, this new PCV has caused my idle to smooth out almost completely, and driving seems much more crisp without the odd occasional stumble. I can only assume that because the EFI relies in part on vacuum signal to distribute fuel, something about the fixed orifice didn't allow it to calculate correctly so maybe it was always trying to figure out where it was at in the profile?? I truly have no idea. But, now the car drives better, which is a very nice unexpected side effect of this installation.

Of course, if you're carbureted or have a TBI that relies on mass air flow (MAF) rather than manifold air pressure (MAP), then likely this won't do a dang thing for your tune/drivability. It'll just clean up your oil, prevent oil leaks, and kick blow-by to the curb 🤷‍♀️ Shucks.

Anyways, to sum up: If you're looking to reduce blow-by, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket, if you like shiny new things, and/or if you just really love well-written instructions... the ME Wagner dual flow PCV valve is a total win!
I've had excellent results with the Wagner valve. Once I had it dialed in with the vacuum gauge, I tweaked it in very small amounts by driving until I completely eliminated small "weeps" from my valve cover breathers.

· Registered
418 Posts
I installed one of these a few weeks ago. I was having some blow by and oil coming out of my breather and dripping onto the header. The new valve solved that problem! It was worth it just to not smell burning oil at stop lights. I don’t have fuel injection but I too noticed a positive change in idle quality. It’s subtle but noticeable. Well worth the money.

· VMF Ambassador
7,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can I retroactively get a discount for spurring the new buy? :LOL:

It does surprise me that other people have also seen drivability improvements with this valve, both carbed and EFI'd! I would never have thought that the PCV would play a strong enough role to cause noticeable changes in drive quality.

· Registered
3,099 Posts
Well hell, count me in for a belated birthday present for my 52 yo lover.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
So Kelly (or anyone else that knows),

I have a newer style PCV valve (relatively speaking since the "newer" style is over 35 years old) that fits in the back of the intake manifold and not in the valve cover. Do you know of the Wagner unit will fit that application?

Thanks,
-Shannon

· VMF Ambassador
7,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So Kelly (or anyone else that knows),

I have a newer style PCV valve (relatively speaking since the "newer" style is over 35 years old) that fits in the back of the intake manifold and not in the valve cover. Do you know of the Wagner unit will fit that application?

Thanks,
-Shannon
Hmm, do you have a pic of what you're talking about? Not quite clear on how that would look.

I do know that these guys offer an adapter to allow you to use the PCV as an inline valve.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Kelly

Below is what the Foxbody era mustangs use (on the left). Ignore the stuff on the right. The part the fits into the intake (the lower, smaller section) is 3/4" in diameter and 5/8" deep.

Thanks for the assistance,
-Shannon

1 - 20 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.