Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the U-joints on a '73 302 automatic. The parts store lists a few different sizes. I'm not finding dimensions on the parts installed that appear to match dimensions listed by the parts store. How do I measure to determine which size the car currently has?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Your going to have to remove them from the driveshaft. Very simple
#1 jack up the car and put safety jacks under something solid
#2 mark the driveshaft at the end and use a halfinch wrench to remove the u bolts
#3 push the driveshaft forward gently and then lower it and pull it out(be carefull not to get crazy with it and drop that on the floor hard- you might need some help or a creeper to get to the front of the shaft to let it out)
#4now that you have it out you can remove the snap rings and get them out to get the same exact size.
#5 ask john-pro if he can explain how to put them back in :: or hit me because you didn't realy need an explaination

·
Registered
616 Posts
My 2 pence, but I would not drop the shaft. All you need is the outer diameter of the bearing cups, and the total overall length of the crosses.
Easy way to get the cup diameter is to take several sockets with you and find one that the drive end fits snug into the outside of the yoke. Measure it when out from unde the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts