Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad told me he used to purchase small plastic boots to slide over the mechanical advance stop arm to limit the total advance. He had purchased them from the local Ford dealer 30 years ago. Where can I find these limiters? I have not found a parts store or performance shop that sell these limiters for stock Ford distributors. Most of them recommend purchasing an MSD billet. I don't want to fork over that kind of dough. I currently adjust my total advance by adding epoxy to the advance stop until my total timing comes down to my desired setting. It is very tedious. Any help would be appreciated.

'68 Coupe, 289, C4, 3.40 gears, GT-40P heads, TCI Streetfighter stall convertor.

G

·
0 Posts
Is that what those things are for! I've noticed them before but never really figured it out. Could you try stiffer springs to bring the curve in at higher rpm?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the aftermarket weak springs with the stock springs and the total timing was still around 55 degrees with the initial set at 14 degrees with the 13L arm. It should only advance to a maximum of 40 degrees with the 13L arm (14 + 13 + 13). I noticed the 10L, 13L, 15L, and 18L stop arms aren't nearly as accurate as they should be.

'68 Coupe, 289, C4, 3.40 gears, GT-40P heads, TCI Streetfighter stall convertor.

G

·
0 Posts
Are you using an adjustable vacuum advance?If not get one so that you can use it to limit the amount of advance the vacuum chamber adds to the total

Greg B

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disconnected the vacuum advance when I added the lighter aftermarket springs. With 3.40 gears and a 3200 RPM stall converter, my rpm's are usually high (above 2500 RPM) enough to be in the fully advanced mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts