Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up guys, I’m mocking up my autometer gauges in a stock bezel. They’re all new except the oil psi gauge which I already had, it’s mechanical and full sweep. If I get an electric sender oil psi gauge they will all match. How do you guys feel about an electric sender on an oil psi gauge? First world problems I know...
F97077D8-187C-4978-9A86-CDCCAF57909F.jpeg

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Auto meter makes good stuff.
If you have it, I wouldn’t be concerned.
I went 100% digital.
I love them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,528 Posts
Electric senders are fine. They would all need to match for my liking.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,856 Posts
I wouldn't have it any other way. A nylon oil sender line split open and spewed hot oil on a coworker's leg one time. Nasty. Put me off using mechanical gauges forever.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I wouldn't have it any other way. A nylon oil sender line split open and spewed hot oil on a coworker's leg one time. Nasty. Put me off using mechanical gauges forever.
Even if it doesn't burn someone, it makes a hell of a mess to clean up. If you're replacing them all anyway, or have it apart, I would not consider a mechanical gauge.

I've had to clean up that mess before. Not in the Mustang. Had to throw away that cars early production cut and stitched, pre press molded, carpet. Really bummed me out.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Once on my way home from Oshkosh in my home homebuilt I had a copper oil pressure line break and drench my right leg with hot oil. I was at 5000 feet over lake Michigan at the time.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Well, I disagree. I’ve run a copper mechanical for over 10 years... no problems! It’s only recently, that I upgraded to a braided hose. Mechanical all the way, for me!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,856 Posts
I do lot of things that are technically pretty darn unsafe that I have incidentally not been killed or injured by. Yet.
Just popped into my head there, for no reason. Notice that I am not listing what those things are nor publicly advising anyone else to do them,

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I like mechanical stuff but I don't like hot oil inside my car, and a mechanical gauge is doing basically the same thing the sending unit is doing outside under the hood. Knowing my luck, it would spring a leak, catch fire and burn my car up. I'm good with electrical. I'm also good with keeping my hide and my carpet.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have the Autometer electrical Oil pressure gauge and love it, but you do have to buy the autometer sending unit Model 2242 Short Sweep for it otherwise it won't work.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. Since I already have the full sweep mechanical gauge and my old one was a 2 5/8 mechanical so I already have the steel braided line I’ll just stick with it for now, I’ll change it out later if it annoys me enough. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts