Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Range of cost for media blasting

• $0 I sand by hand like a real man.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • $1-250 I have my own blaster and I do it myself, cost is the media.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • $250-500 I pay my buddy in beer. He drinks a lot. Plus the cost of the media.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • $500-$750 Going rate around here.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • $750-1000 Going rate around here.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • $1000-up I drop it off and it comes back painted. I don't ask how.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still think I need to get my car media blasted to find all of the rust. I'm mostly trying to see what I should budget. Car will be stripped of everything including doors. I sold one of my bikes so I have a little play money again so I can get back to the car. Thanks for your inputs, if you want to ignore the poll and just let me know what to expect post away. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Blasting is a dirty process.
If work done at your buddy’s place and you ave the means to deliver it to him, pick the kegs on the way to his place.
If the work is to be done in your garage, save the 250, bu6 the media and the beer, you will need it once you are done.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I cannot imagine blasting an entire car with a little pot blaster. I also don't want to imagine how warped your panels might be after it unless somebody is blasting with a special nozzle or they are very careful.

Around here, there's a blasting company about 15 minutes from me and they have a blasting room and also have 3 big walk up blast cabinets. Each cabinet is 10' wide, 5' deep and 5' high. If you can carry it in your arms it can fit in the blast cabinet. Each cabinet has two blasting stations, so usually there are two people two a cabinet. It costs $17/hr to use the cabinets and it's very nice media with a very, very powerful air supply.

In the blasting room, you can either pay them to do your project or you can book the room and they'll set you up with everything. The room is full of media, they'll have buckets of media stacked up by your pot, and they have supplied air blasting helmets. They push your project into the room with their forklift and then they'll come in and lift it up and move it around when you're ready to blast beneath it or from a different angle. You can start in the morning and then stay in there for as long as it takes to complete your project. You pay an hourly rate and the maximum rate is something stupid small like $157. So that's how much it cost me and a buddy to blast a frame to my 78 LTDII. You can have up to three people blasting at a time in the blasting room. Their media is very nice, it leaves a very smooth profile. The hoses are about 1.5 inches in diameter and have a huge tip on them. There's a lot of air behind it for sure.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I still have sand falling out of my car 30+ years later,screw that,never again. Dip it or nothing.

·
Super Moderator
10,010 Posts
I cannot imagine blasting an entire car with a little pot blaster. I also don't want to imagine how warped your panels might be after it unless somebody is blasting with a special nozzle or they are very careful.

Around here, there's a blasting company about 15 minutes from me and they have a blasting room and also have 3 big walk up blast cabinets. Each cabinet is 10' wide, 5' deep and 5' high. If you can carry it in your arms it can fit in the blast cabinet. Each cabinet has two blasting stations, so usually there are two people two a cabinet. It costs $17/hr to use the cabinets and it's very nice media with a very, very powerful air supply.

In the blasting room, you can either pay them to do your project or you can book the room and they'll set you up with everything. The room is full of media, they'll have buckets of media stacked up by your pot, and they have supplied air blasting helmets. They push your project into the room with their forklift and then they'll come in and lift it up and move it around when you're ready to blast beneath it or from a different angle. You can start in the morning and then stay in there for as long as it takes to complete your project. You pay an hourly rate and the maximum rate is something stupid small like $157. So that's how much it cost me and a buddy to blast a frame to my 78 LTDII. You can have up to three people blasting at a time in the blasting room. Their media is very nice, it leaves a very smooth profile. The hoses are about 1.5 inches in diameter and have a huge tip on them. There's a lot of air behind it for sure.
Nice, wish we had something like that here.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So what is the name of the company?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still have sand falling out of my car 30+ years later,screw that,never again. Dip it or nothing.
But then don't you have to worry about chemicals falling out of your car 30+ years later?

Where did the sand get caught at? Can you tell? I'm going to be replacing just about every part that could hold water or sand.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
So what is the name of the company?
Consolidating Stripping in Plainwell, MI.

This is what their big blasting cabinets look like. They build them, and sell them as well.

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just dustless media blasted my 68 convertible. I did the exterior, engine compartment (fenders off), trunk, interior....everything except for the bottom. This is a nice CA rust free sample. This car had an engine compartment fire last December and I had done some initial AlOx blasting with a harbor freight bucket...no comparison to the big rig.

The owner of the rig has back problems and now rents out the rig...200/hr plus media and HoldTight. The media is recycled glass. $14/bag 50#. The HoldTight gives you approx 3 days before flash rust will occur. The blasting took 4 hours of compressor time. The cleaning took another 2 hours with his compressor. It is a messy and back breaking job. The glass gets everywhere and is a #$#@$ to get out of all the nooks and crannies, this is where the compressor comes into play after blasting. I did it myself because I was quoted prices between 2-3K in the SF Bay Area. In the end it was $1400. I saved a little but wouldn't do it myself again. At 56, holding what feels like a rocket in your hand all day takes it out of you. This is definitely a young man's job.

The car was blasted at the painter's house and was SPI epoxy primed the next morning. This is Armon's painter who did such a nice job on his fastback and many thanks to Armon for sharing the contact!

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had my '66 fastback blasted by a friend who does that for a living.
If I remember, it was about $700, and that covered his electricity (big compressors run up big electric bills!) media, and an epoxy coat.
He cut me a break on his labor because I helped.
For the smaller things, I have a modified Harbor Freight cabinet that does a great job.
You really can't beat media blasting for a good foundation.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I had a guy do my '67 F100 with the dustless media system. He showed up with a trailer, shot the complete disassembled truck out in front of my shop on the concrete slab, charged my $1400, and split. Nice guy, nice results as far as the surface being clean and not warped. I spent about 3 hours cleaning up the driveway, and probably 40 trying to get the sand out of every orifice on the truck. I will NEVER do that again, I will NEVER recommend having it done, and I ALWAYS cringe every Saturday morning when Bruno and the other dude have their 3 minute spiel on how 'awesome' the system is. I highly recommend either sanding it yourself, or having it done in a standard booth... without water!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a guy do my '67 F100 with the dustless media system. He showed up with a trailer, shot the complete disassembled truck out in front of my shop on the concrete slab, charged my $1400, and split. Nice guy, nice results as far as the surface being clean and not warped. I spent about 3 hours cleaning up the driveway, and probably 40 trying to get the sand out of every orifice on the truck. I will NEVER do that again, I will NEVER recommend having it done, and I ALWAYS cringe every Saturday morning when Bruno and the other dude have their 3 minute spiel on how 'awesome' the system is. I highly recommend either sanding it yourself, or having it done in a standard booth... without water!
So that being said and you wouldn't blast at all are you resigned to dipping? That comes at a steep price.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had my '66 fastback blasted by a friend who does that for a living.
If I remember, it was about $700, and that covered his electricity (big compressors run up big electric bills!) media, and an epoxy coat.
He cut me a break on his labor because I helped.
For the smaller things, I have a modified Harbor Freight cabinet that does a great job.
You really can't beat media blasting for a good foundation.
And any cleaning techniques after you blast?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I also hired a guy with a soda blasting trailer to come to my home and do the interior of my fastback in the driveway. BTW - I also scheduled this on a very low humidity day in North Texas in the Spring. There is no doubt that the media will get everywhere. I taped off (with fairly good success) the areas that I didn’t want to get dusted.
Yes, you are going to spend hours with a shop vac and hopefully and an air compressor blowing out every nook and cranny that you can find 10 times over, and you still wont get it all. However, I would still do it again.

Dcubedus

Reactions: swooshdave

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
So that being said and you wouldn't blast at all are you resigned to dipping? That comes at a steep price.
I just won't ever use the dustless version as the water made the media stick in everywhere once it dried. Were it the dry type, it would blow out (in theory anyway, right?)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just won't ever use the dustless version as the water made the media stick in everywhere once it dried. Were it the dry type, it would blow out (in theory anyway, right?)
If you rinse the body off before it dries would that make it easier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts