Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Range of cost for media blasting

• $0 I sand by hand like a real man.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • $1-250 I have my own blaster and I do it myself, cost is the media.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • $250-500 I pay my buddy in beer. He drinks a lot. Plus the cost of the media.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • $500-$750 Going rate around here.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • $750-1000 Going rate around here.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • $1000-up I drop it off and it comes back painted. I don't ask how.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't know if my experience will help you make a decision on this or not as I was more concerned about the interior, especially under the dash of my mustangs. I have a particular pet peeve (no offense to anyone here) about really nicely restored cars on the outside with nasty surface rust all up under the dash.
So, on my coupe I removed all of the interior (including all underdash components) and spent days on my back with a sanders and various wire wheels getting into many uncomfortable positions to get every nook and cranny that I could down to bare metal. In the end, my back was sore, my arms were all scratched up and I was filthy. I swore that I would never do that again the same way.
So, fast forward a few years and I need to do the same thing on my fastback. This time, I stripped all of the interior and dash stuff out again. Then, I hired a soda blasting truck to come to my house and blast the interior in a matter of maybe 2-3 hours. They even did some other parts for me like the hood hinges.. It was great! The car never left my possession and I didn't have to endure days of discomfort. Sure, as I noted in my post above, I spent hours cleaning it out with a shop vac and a compressor. But I was way ahead in overall time. I recall paying around $400 for the interior. That did not include the ceiling. I attached a dash picture of the results.

Dcubedus

Reactions: swooshdave

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I had a guy do my '67 F100 with the dustless media system. He showed up with a trailer, shot the complete disassembled truck out in front of my shop on the concrete slab, charged my $1400, and split. Nice guy, nice results as far as the surface being clean and not warped. I spent about 3 hours cleaning up the driveway, and probably 40 trying to get the sand out of every orifice on the truck. I will NEVER do that again, I will NEVER recommend having it done, and I ALWAYS cringe every Saturday morning when Bruno and the other dude have their 3 minute spiel on how 'awesome' the system is. I highly recommend either sanding it yourself, or having it done in a standard booth... without water!
I had my Mustang dustless blasted, but it was on a rotisserie. After it was done and dry, I rolled it over and hit various areas around the torque boxes and the rockers with an air chisel with a blunt end. This shook it enough to knock most of the sand out. I had a bunch of media collect in the A pillars and behind the dash as well as the rockers. I would also use a blow gun with a long wand to clean out the rockers. I did this several times over the course of about 3 months, and finally when I flipped it over and tried the air chisel trick, no blast media fell out.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I sandblasted mine with a big portable HF pot. It was on a rotisserie. Once I was done I spend an hour or so blasting air into every crevice I could find. Then I would spin it and blast some more. Eventually I got most of it out to the point where I don't ever see any in the car.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Conventional blasting here is about a grand for a stripped unibody. It’s a few hun for a ladder frame. Last I looked (5-6 years) I couldn’t find a dustless rig where the guy did many cars. Mostly industrial and I didn't want a guy that didn’t do cars all the time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had my car blasted with aluminum oxide and the electrostaticly primed and baked. It was totally stripped down, all body parts were done. It cost me about $2400 tax included. I would do it again.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts