Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to fuse my alternator and cooling fans and was wondering is there any advantage of using a fuse link vs a mega fuse? The alt is a 95 amp 3G and the fans are 30 amps each. I was thinking of doing 100A for the alternator and 40 or 50 amps each for the fans.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Fusable link on the alternator, fuse on the rest...
Dobro - I'm glad someone said this, because I always wondered why a replaceable fuse is not preferred over a fusable link, which can't be fixed on the side of the road and takes tools. I don't know anyone who ever carries a spare link.
But, there MUST be a technical reason the fusable links are used often.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Fusible links are cheap, compact and easy for the factory to install. They very rarely blow. You have to do something almost stupid to burn a fusible link. I did it once by connecting a battery backward in the dark and the power went through an OBD port that had a broken mount.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
A fuse or fusible link on the alternator is only going to give protection to the alternator output wire on the chance that it falls off the back of the alternator. That's it. That's why manufacturers don't bother to add one.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I run a BFF (big frigg'n fuse) on my house power line from the battery in case there is a major short. My starter system is only energized when the solenoid (in trunk) is engaged. If a catastrophic short happens (e.g. broadside hit where I run my house power line through the door sill under the the driver's door), I put a fusible link right at the terminal of the alternator so if the engine was running if I have that major short, the alternator does not continue to deliver power to the shorted system - its a fail-safe for a catastrophic situation. I probably could have used a fuse but the article I last read about remoting the battery to the trunk said use one so I did. Seems you never see fuses on a hot vibrating engine so I didn't put one there as I wanted it as close to the alternator terminal as possible.

Actually fusible links are a common bowtie thing...

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
Fuses and circuit breakers serve two purposes. First for short circuit protection primarily and where over load is not as important. Second is overload where short circuit protection isn't as important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts