Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! my name is Marshall and figured I would post my 1967 mustang coupe online with the progress, challenges, issues and the forever going continuing questions. I am 29 years old and i'm an architect in Portland, Oregon. I have always had an interest in classic mustangs every since I was young. At 16 I had bought my first car being a 1992 civic, which I continued to modify and was a lot of fun! Gave me great experience with cars and good friends always wanting to help! Giving us all a reason to hang out in the garage. Now i'm a little older, I figured it was time to graduate haha! I "dragged" my dad to come pick up my 67 mustang during the summer of 2019. I had finally found a lady I can spend all my money on! Ever since then I have been working on her (Rose) to restore and tailor what I am looking for in my car with what I have to work with. Having its ups and downs, of course, it has been so much fun, a learning experience and my weekend hobby. I am a guy in the garage having fun and building my mustang.

As for the car, its all over the place. She's a black 67 coupe which was originally green, has a 289 in it at the moment, automatic, with 5 lug and drum brakes all around currently, came with AC which I later figured out. Bought it with the floor pans out, and a fair amount of rust under the dash / interior / other places around the car. Something about a black 67 / 68 that has always caught my eye.. talked the guy down a bit on the price and took her home. The 289 starts and runs but its something that will have to just work for now. I bought a 69 351w 4 barrel motor around 4 years ago and has been waiting for an excuse to get rebuilt and put into a mustang ever since (future plans), I will also be looking for a manual transmission around the spring / summer time. For now, my goal is to get her on the road and everything working properly, electronics, motor, breaks.. ect.. So I figure I would share my progress, questions, issues throughout my journey with the car. I might not do it perfect and that's ok with me. I'm in it for the build, experience and the smile when i'm driving her down the road! Thanks!

Currently:

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
You'll fit right in here, welcome to VMF! Uh, please tell us you''re gonna ditch those leaf spring shackles soon (lest you find yourself, you know, in a ditch). :)

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Welcome to VMF !!

·
Super Moderator
9,394 Posts
Welcome, I’ll be following

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Damage control! Ok, I figure I would post some pictures of what came home. Every time I look at these pictures it hurts to think someone would let it go this far. I knew I was in uncharted territory, could not wait to give this car a second chance. So where to begin? The interior was obviously the worst, so I figured the first thing to do was just clean it up and slowly disassemble everything that is rusted. Tons of fun I know. Also keeping in mind I have never worked on a classic mustang before.. Pictures were crucial. Everything had to go. I stripped the interior as much as I could and set everything aside. The key thing I figured out, no matter the condition, label everything you take apart / disconnect and don't throw anything away! Pictures and labels have saved my ass multiple times. Here are some of the existing interior conditions and the strip down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Welcome. She’s a beauty that Rose! You’re well on your way to something you’ll be really proud of. Way better than any old Civic. Lots of knowledge to be gleaned here from the residents. You’ll do fine, and congratulations on an already good looking car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
After disassembling everything in the interior and a couple of hours cleaning as much as I could. I wanted to see some immediate progress, so I decided I would sand the dash down and get it ready to put primer on which is shown in the first picture. After a full day of doing that and laying a couple coats of primer, the next step was to start to tackle the floor pans. Beginning with the passenger side since it looked doable! haha. I went out and bought a grinder to take the existing rusty metal down to bare metal around the outside and then focused of the subframe rail. Cleaning it out and then grinding the edges down, then used some east wood rust encapsulator to cure the inside of the rail. Then after many tries of putting the floor pan in place and deciding what metal to cut or keep, I had finally found a good fit. I grinded down the edges on both ends and drilled out holes every couple of inches on the side of the floor pan, also the locations where the frame meets the pan ( later realizing that you only need to do this through the floor plan not the subframe rails). That's ok, I know not to do that on the driver side now. Then I prepped everything for the floor pan to be installed with weld through primer.

I called up a good friend to see if he would let me borrow his welder. When he dropped it off he was in a rush, I have never welded before in my life! It was more of a.. let me adjust the welder and show you how to work it and what to do, that was pretty much it! OK, after videos on youtube from - Jo Daddy's Garage - (I would like to thank him for all the videos!) The first welds on the passenger side pan were laid down! On the pic below to the left, were my first welds ever, please laugh cus I am! Then after about half way though the pan and adjustments to the welder, I started to get the hang of it, which you can see from the middle picture. Not the best but hey, they will do and it seems to be working. Continued to make my way around the pan and when the welds didn't work, I just grinded the metal down and hit the reset button. After a multiple of hours figuring things out and burning through metal here and there, I have a passenger side floor!

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
203 Posts
welcome Melloman and Rose, shes a beut

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the warm welcomes everyone ?

Next stage in installing the floor pans was the prep and set the seat pans. First I figure I would test fit the seat pan, It would not sit flush with the floor plan, leaving about half an inch of space here and there in multiple directions.. not knowing if this was normal or not. I bent all the tabs to try and make the best contact to the floor pan for when I started to weld. I drilled holes in every couple of inches around the tabs of the seat pan and prepped it with weld thru primer.

After laying down the welds I had to put the seat pan in. Then here comes the issue.. As i'm sitting in the seat, it leans to the right quite a bit. hmm.. took the seat out to try and figure out why this is. I noticed when I had welded in the floor pan the the right side connecting to the rocker panel, it was actually not level. The pan I put in must have been slightly flexed in the middle. To late now. Hey got to learn some how. Now I know to double check to make sure everything is measure right and level. Not the worst mistake by any means. I'm sure I can come up with a solution down the road if this is really an issue. Now I know why the seat pan had gaps in it.

Now onto the driver side
I left this side second for a reason. I had multiple spots of rust under the pan right below pedals. I knew this would take more work and figuring out than the passenger side. Taking my time and making sure the panel is cut slightly over the existing surface. Double checking my measurements of the connection to the frame rail. It fit just snug after many tries in an out of the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You certainly don’t waste any time! I love that you jumped right in to welding with no experience. That’s the best way to learn. Good call on Jo Daddy’s Garage, a great reference if you’ve never worked on these cars before. I look forward to following along.
Hey thanks. It's something that I knew I was going to have to do when I had purchased this car, that's half the fun tho! Also, I have always wanted to learn how to weld so this gave me a perfect opportunity. Yes he is, I had stumbled upon him on youtube, he did the floor pans in a 68 that gave me a great guide into taking this on (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Onto the driver side floor pan. This pan fit better, taking my time, making sure everything is cut right, lined up and flat. The seat pan had no issues fitting at all and the driver seat sat correct.. that's what really matters right? haha

As I finished, felt like I finally got the hang of it somewhat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some of the areas I couldn't weld over everything without taking it fully apart. On the firewall - pic on the top left - I just had to cover it with fiberglass sheets.Maybe not the best for patching it up but was not about to rip apart the firewall unless I totally needed to. In this case I figured some patches would do the job ok. Then I put down some primer and sprayed some black rust encapsulator. Next was the sound deadener which I picked kilamat. The reason, it was cheap and reviews said it did the job fine, good for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts