Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The under dash harness was an absolute mess when I first pulled it out. From a really terrible modern radio install to additional cigarette lighter hanging down from under the dash instead of replacing the original one and randomly cut wires hanging out. Surprisingly all the plugs were in great shape! Decided to spread it all out on the floor and further inspect it. I went through and labeled everything that I could. Slowly went from one end to the other using my electric wiring diagrams book that I ordered, which was a HUGE help. I don't think I would have known what goes where without it. The first pic is the under dash harness all spread out on my floor.

The fuse box was in bad shape with rusted outlets and missing fuses. I was first thinking about upgrading to a modern day fuse panel. However, I just didn't seem to find a quality one that I wanted to replace the original one with. I also didn't want to spend $600 on a whole new under dash harness. I figured first I would give this one a rebuild. If I couldn't get it figured out, I would go ahead and spend the money on a new harness. I ended up finding new metal plug outlets online, so I placed my order and decided to give them a try. I took a ton of pictures to make sure that all the existing wires go into the right locations on the metal outlets. I cut all the wires off the fuse box and then slowly took all the existing outlets out. You have to be extremely careful and take your time.. a lot of time! Got them all out without hurting the fuse box to much, took me over an hour. Cleaned up the fuse box as much as I could. Then took the wires and arranged them in a somewhat order and fed them through the lower tab of the fuse box. Don't forget to do that step ( I almost did). Used my existed pics and double checked my locations of where the new metal outlets attached to the wires, made life easy.

The tricky part was actually trying to get the new metal outlets through the fuse box without breaking anything. You need to be patient and if something doesn't fit right, stop and restart. If you force any of the metal tabs through you will break the fuse box and the metal tabs will be lose, I know because one of them turned out that way. Prepare for your hands to hurt after this : )

Final assembly of the fuse box with the new metal outlets (without the fuses at the moment):

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just realized I forgot to take a full pic of the finished harness! bummers! Here is the initial installation under the dash and how I installed the fuse box. This is how it was installed in the car when I took it back off. So I just figure I would use the existing holes for the fuse box. Not sure if I like it like this, but for now it will do. There is only 5 fuses haha, so if one blows i'm sure I can find it even at that angle.

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts