Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So 14 seconds is the difference between a real race car with a real race car driver and a street car driven by a not-race car driver.

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Spent the weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC with the Carolina's Region Porsche Club. Had a wonderful weekend and had a phenomenal instructor. I could not have asked for a more professional and courteous instructor. I know everyone likes video and I do have some. However, it's not very good. I need a much better mount. I will address that in the real track car. Having said that, after my third of what would have been four sessions and my second black flag for the day, I trailered it...for good this time.

At previous events last year, I had some really bad rocker cover gasket leaks. They reared their ugly head again for this event. After the second session, I changed from the Fel-Pro silicon coated metal gaskets (which are perfectly good for street use), to regular cork gaskets glued to the covers. I went out for my third session, and two laps in, I was black flagged again. I was already on the watch list, and someone spun behind me. Could have been anything, but the station workers errored on the side of caution and brought me in. I took it to the trailer and opened the hood...clean as a whistle. Looked under the car and oil was pouring from the engine. Since the car was still running fine and no parts were hanging out of the engine, I just assumed the rear main seal had blown, closed the hood and pulled the car into the trailer.

After a long ride home today and some discussion with my wife I have decided to close the book on tracking this car. I have had two HPDE instructors tell me now that I needed to seriously start thinking about progressing up through the classes at the HPDE's. However, I would need to make considerable safety changes to the car prior to be permitted to run with those groups. Since I don't want to incorporate changes of that magnitude to this car, I am going to return to work on the track car to mitigate risks to the car and myself.

After getting the car home today and up on stands, I discovered the Canton RR pan had cracked on the lower rear edge of the sump letting oil pour out. Apparent fatigue in the weld as there were no indications that anything had hit the pan.

Anyway, here you go...
Best Lap

Video of laps leading up to and including best lap (sorry for the video quality)...

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
One clean run, and only one! Beautiful late summer day with a cool wind blowing off lake Michigan at the Tire Rack test track I won my class, by default. The real news is my second run was perfect and I got everything out of the car it had to give! I had a better time than a lot of cars that normally crush me. And then.. well
AXti.me Event Results: 2020 SBR #06

Reactions: QuietChris
41 - 60 of 113 Posts