Vintage Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Unfortunately, no pics and very little video. This was my first NASA sanctioned event which is the course I have selected to earn my competition license. Holly and I literally went nonstop from sun up to sun down Friday through today. Other than a brief lunch on Saturday and Sunday, I was either in class or on the track. I didn’t get to watch any of HVR on track...nothing. I was pissed about that, but it is what it is.

As I stated on my build thread, I was fortunate enough to get promoted from HPDE1 to HPDE2 after three sessions on Saturday. TBH, the third session was in a steady rain, on slicks which made things very interesting. I think the instructor may have not wanted back in the car...🤣.

For the most part, for those starting out in NASA, it’s a lot of laps of a lot of drills...especially in HPDE1. HPDE2 gets some open laps. So my last session on Sunday in HPDE2 had some decent laps. First lap is always yellow. Laps 2 and 3 for this session was side by side with a partner for entire lap to get comfortable with door to door in the corners rather than just a point by on the straights. I was paired with a ‘70’s Z28 who is also coming up the ranks for vintage W2W. Super nice guy. He was actually parked between Mark an I in the paddock.

Anyway, here’s the only video from this weekend. I was pleased to be able to catch and pass the Cobra. In the previous session I was able to catch and pass a newer GT350. However, the owner was as green as me and I’m 100% certain that was the highest contributing factor. The car still had a temporary paper tag.

Here’s my fastest lap of the session. I’m 6-12 seconds slower than most everyone in HVR, Mark’s race group.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,578 Posts
I smell an engine build coming soon. Nice job.

Reactions: patrickstapler

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Unfortunately, no pics and very little video. This was my first NASA sanctioned event which is the course I have selected to earn my competition license. Holly and I literally went nonstop from sun up to sun down Friday through today. Other than a brief lunch on Saturday and Sunday, I was either in class or on the track. I didn’t get to watch any of HVR on track...nothing. I was pissed about that, but it is what it is.

As I stated on my build thread, I was fortunate enough to get promoted from HPDE1 to HPDE2 after three sessions on Saturday. TBH, the third session was in a steady rain, on slicks which made things very interesting. I think the instructor may have not wanted back in the car...🤣.

For the most part, for those starting out in NASA, it’s a lot of laps of a lot of drills...especially in HPDE1. HPDE2 gets some open laps. So my last session on Sunday in HPDE2 had some decent laps. First lap is always yellow. Laps 2 and 3 for this session was side by side with a partner for entire lap to get comfortable with door to door in the corners rather than just a point by on the straights. I was paired with a ‘70’s Z28 who is also coming up the ranks for vintage W2W. Super nice guy. He was actually parked between Mark an I in the paddock.

Anyway, here’s the only video from this weekend. I was pleased to be able to catch and pass the Cobra. In the previous session I was able to catch and pass a newer GT350. However, the owner was as green as me and I’m 100% certain that was the highest contributing factor. The car still had a temporary paper tag.

Here’s my fastest lap of the session. I’m 6-12 seconds slower than most everyone in HVR, Mark’s race group.
Congrats brother!

What do you need to do to close the gap the most on the 6 - 12 seconds difference in HVR? I have a guess and remember I said close the gap the most...(I know it's going to be a combination of everything).

Allen

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
@silverblueBP was kind enough to convince his HVR brethren to allow me to join them this week at the Ford Mid-America meet at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit this year. I can not express to you and the members of this group the gratitude I have for each and every member. Other than what Mark has told them about me, and being at Heartland Topeka, KS with NASA a few weeks ago I am a complete outsider to this organization. Every single member graciously welcomed both Holly and I into their families as if we have known them for years. To say this was a very humbling experience to meet so many truly genuine and caring people is a huge understatement. To be honest I can’t even think of the proper words to accurately describe the generosity of these families. I have been around them all before, but this time we were one of them. We were a part of the group as if we have been there for many years. Each of them individually and their wives and the group as a whole is top class all around. Holly and I are both so very honored and thankful to now be able to call each one of them dear friends. I can only hope to one day be able to repay the generosity presented to us this week.

So here is a small teaser of one of the cars on track with us today…and when I say on track, I mean in the feature exhibition vintage race today. Now he didn’t push the car to hard, but he openly admitted he could not afford to bring this piece of history back from another incident. He has spent the last 25 years rebuilding this car. The one and two Alan Mann 1966 Ford GT40 prototype. There is no value that could be placed on this car. To be I’m the same space with this car is awesome. To be on the same race track with this car is mind blowing. I passed him twice…but he was only going about 60…I was only going about 65 because I was scared to death to be near it…🤣

we all missed you Mark.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Glad you had a good time and that my “brothers” were so welcoming. Racing these old cars really is like one big family and we’re always looking for like minded people to bring into the fold. Wish I could’ve been there!

Mark

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Awesome! To be fair, I’m scared to death you were near it....

Reactions: patrickstapler

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
My fastest lap of the race and the week. The lead pack is 6-8 seconds faster.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Stop! My wife gets suspicious when I stare at my phone and breathe heavy.....

·
Spammer Hammer
11,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
The race. Just me out on a nice relaxing Friday drive by myself…🤣🤣🤣. I was roughly 6-8 seconds slower than all those guys that went by me in the beginning.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts