Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the other post about the indian and spam made me think of a funny story about messing with Spammers who call the house.

I used to put my then 4 year old on the phone and tell them to tell Santa what you want for Christmas.

The best was an Indian gentleman who called about a problem with my windows computer. He wanted me to open windows. I told him I couldn't because I had the A/C on. He said no your windows computer. I said all my windows have curtains. I told him my computer was a Comodore 64. He googled that and said it was really old, like 30 years old and may be worth some money.

I kept going, I told him my car was 50 years old (true). He asked what it was so I told him. He googled again and told me how beautiful these cars are. He asked again about my opening my windows. I told him the one closest sticks sometimes and is hard to open. I then went on a rant about humidity.

He told me maybe its time to get a new computer. I told him I was 80 years old (not even close to true), that my Car was 50 years old, my computer was 30 years old and then I said "Do you know how old my wife is?.....18!" He hung up on me.

My wife was rolling as this rambled on for 10 min or more. At least I kept him from bothering someone else for a while.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Most of the time I hang up on them, but if my wife is around we have a little fun. I let them go through their spiel and then say "My wife usually handles this stuff, you'll have to talk to her". After she listens to them she'll say "You'll have to talk to my husband about that". We keep going back and forth til they hang up.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Not a SPAMMER of robo call story but nice little story.

When the cellular company I work for first opened for business, the sales people did a LOT of cold calling, going through the phone book and calling anyone who might be a potential client for the new technology: contractors, manufacturing, support, tow truck companies, real estate AND doctors.

One of our rural offices had a certain doctor listed in the phone book and of course that number was one of the first ones dialed. Turns out though that the doctor had been dead for several years and his elderly widow couldn't bare to change the listing, besides, she explained that this was one of only reasons people called any more: they called for the doctor and ended up talking to her on and on and on. She just loved when people called to talk.

Well, after that initial call, any time a new sales person was hired at that office, they were hazed by being given that number. They were told that there was a doctor that was so close to signing but no one could close the deal and if this new sales person could ink the contract they would be the store hero. The newby would pounce on the opportunity, dial the number and instead of the doctor, get the sweet old lady on the line. After just a few minutes, they would start looking around the office and see everyone snickering and realize they had been had. By the time they got off the phone, they knew how long the couple had been married, her favorite recipes, all about their kids who never called or visited her, and how she looked forward to seeing her beloved in paradise. The office got a good laugh and the old woman was happy to have talked to somebody.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Got a call from a lady wanting to see me a life insurance policy. I told her that I didn't need life insurance and that I was the only one left in my family and I didn't have any heirs, and when I died, there wasn't anyone left to carry on my name. And with that in mind, I didn't need life insurance. She responded with "Oh you poor man"

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I love messing with them. I get 5-6 calls a day and love to poke holes in their script, but I have had so many that just keep repeating the script. It ties up their lines and gives me a good laugh. Has anyone ever watched the guys on youtube that really mess with them or plant a virus on their computer labeled as "wells fargo" or some other bank, the scammers can't seem to stop themselves from clicking it.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I am on the DO NOT CALL registry, have a spam filter and I still get several calls a day...
I don't answer numbers I don't recognize. And they use numbers from all over the country. Lately even trying local ones. [email protected]$tards...
Sometimes they leave a message, lately it has been an automated one, something about locking down my social security blah blah blah...
Sometimes I block my number (*67) and call them back and mess with them HARD.
When they ask for my number, I give them the phone number to the DO NOT CALL registry, the Federal Trade Commission Fraud Unit, or a police agency.
It doesn't really take much to make them lose their cool and I like to tell them to go get a real job and quit trying to steal from honest working people. PoS...
My brother likes to speak very quietly so they turn their headset volume up, then he blows a handheld boat air horn at the phone and laughs hysterically.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I use several tactics:

Keep saying hello and act like you cant hear them.

Give them a sob story about being unemployed, wife left, car repo'd, IRS froze bank accounts.

If its a woman, start hitting on her, ask personal questions, ask her to video chat.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
This is a local guy, Tom Mabe, grew up in my old neighborhood. Being a stand up comedian, he loves to prank telemarketers.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not phone scammers, but one of my favorite past times is messing with email scammers. You have 12 million dollars to move out of the country and I can have half if I let you launder it through my bank account? Great! Let me send you my cover of Ring of Fire instead of bank details after stringing you along for a week with excuses and stupid, repetitive questions.

Sometimes they just give up and stop emailing, but some of them will also loose their cool and that's when it's funny. I've been told that I'm a "b*stard man" several times. Lots of fun. It's even better when you can get them to divulge their BS or stolen bank account so that you can report it for fraud. Just might save another more gullible person some money.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
One of my favorites- My 73yo Dad got a call from a salesman selling shingles of all things. They thought he bit hook line and sinker! He agreed to new shingles on the whole house, gutters, siding, windows, doors, etc- the call went on for almost an hour. At the very end, they asked for the address of his home so as to send over their crew. He answered with this- 'We're currently at Squaw Creek Park, we're stopping for an oil change, then we'll be up the highway at the RV Park for you to meet us......'. The salesman acted thoroughly confused and asked if Dad was actually referring to a 'Motor home'? I remember Dad smiling and saying 'you said your guys were the best, could shingle, side, and replace windows and doors in ANY home- and this IS my home'. I'm not sure who was more upset- the salesman, or my Mom giving Dad the stinkeye for wasting that poor man's time! lol

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Tom Mabe stuff is HiLaRiOuS !
I was just thinking it would be awesome to have a scammer get into it with "another scammer" and record how that went haha ! ! Maybe some guy from Ahmedabad...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If I don't know the number, I ignore it. Then I block it. And since I have a 586 area code (didn't bother changing my number when I left MI), I get calls from MI all the time, and I know they're spam. I've blocked hundreds of numbers, and yet the spammers still have numbers to call from. How in the &^%$ do they get so many numbers?
I used to answer the phone and just leave it on the desk until they hung up, but it's not even worth doing that anymore.

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
If I don't know the number, I ignore it. Then I block it. And since I have a 586 area code (didn't bother changing my number when I left MI), I get calls from MI all the time, and I know they're spam. I've blocked hundreds of numbers, and yet the spammers still have numbers to call from. How in the &^%$ do they get so many numbers?
I used to answer the phone and just leave it on the desk until they hung up, but it's not even worth doing that anymore.
That's the latest thing, using local numbers to try to get us to answer the phone. Worst part is, it must work enough they keep doing it. People hafta answer the phone, text, email or whatever and for whatever reason they divulge useful information to these low-life PsOS. Pitiful.

·
Registered
20,322 Posts
I had one call about checking my computer. He was Indian as well. So I responded "what about my chickens?". No no I want to check your computer he said. So I replaced you want to check my chickens? We went back and forth until he hung up.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
That's the latest thing, using local numbers to try to get us to answer the phone. Worst part is, it must work enough they keep doing it. People hafta answer the phone, text, email or whatever and for whatever reason they divulge useful information to these low-life PsOS. Pitiful.
I don't know anybody who answers the phone unless they know the number. I would think after all these years people would get smart. I mean, who's gonna reply to those spam emails, those are so old that I can't believe anybody falls for that nonsense. Maybe I'm just expecting the general population to be more intelligent than they actually are.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Doc, you have no idea.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
They are spoofing the numbers. Pick an area code and a town code,then just generate a random four digit to complete the number. It's all automated.

Reminds me of a lady I worked with "OMG, how did they get MY number?". Uh, they didn't "get" your number, it's an autodialer. It starts at 0000 and keeps dialing until someone answers. - "but how did they get MY number, its unlisted!" - never mind.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts