Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, there's some metal like sludge in the engine of my 400!!its in a 1970 GTO . the reason i opened up the oil is that i saw oil mixed with water and stuff under car after a day of driving.opened up the pan and saw this!!!
any input guys?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Rebuild time...doesn’t look good to me. Did u have some stop leak in the radiator? Those big chunks look like Bargs Stop leak!

·
Super Moderator
9,006 Posts
Rebuild time...doesn’t look good to me. Did u have some stop leak in the radiator? Those big chunks look like Bargs Stop leak!
Good call!

·
Registered
20,552 Posts
Has the pan ever been off the engine? I grew up in the leaded gas era. Some of that could very well be the lead from the gas. Anytime I saw a pan taken off or even open up a lawn mower engine, it was typical to see grey sludge. Especially on a tired motor with excessive blow by. I've used putty knives to scrape it out.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
As Coupster suggested, it may not be metal. Your oil drain plug appears to be magnetic, but I don't see any metal on it. That would be a good indicator of that silver sludge not being metal. Drag a magnet through that stuff and and see if anything sticks to it.

You may have a failed head gasket. It seems likely the previous owner suffered that gasket failure and, instead of fixing it properly, dumped in a bottle of Barr's and sold it to you. Sounds like a good opportunity to pull the heads, have them refreshed and maybe shaved a little and then put it all back together properly with fresh engine paint.

BTW, I have a soft spot for Pontiacs. When I was a kid, our family car was a 1970 Firebired with a 400 and a Q-Jet. That was a cool car! When I first got married, our family car was a 1975 Grand Prix with a 400 and a Q-Jet. Another great car!

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Stick a magnet in the muck.

Main and con rod bearing material isn't magnetic until you hit the backer.

If it's magnetic and that finely ground, I would say cam failure. You should be able to see the lobes from underneath.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have to agree with "hemi". That looks more like bearing babbit particles. Pulling one rod bearing or main bearing cap will confirm it. The material will mix in the normal oil sludge and give you the "nice" metallic-looking sludge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts