Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of vintage Mustangs, a Chevy & some Mopars. I know this is the vintage Mustang site but there are a lot of guys here who know their stuff (mechanically). Anyway, I have a Chevy Nova w/ a Cadillac 472 motor in it. The motor has just developed a metal on metal sound (like a clang almost) at 2,500+ rpm. Only makes the noise when the engine is fully warmed up and water temp is 190 or so. When it makes the noise the oil pressure drops about 5psi also. The oil pressure is still right around where it should be. We checked the valvetrain & everything seems ok. We did a compression test and all cylinders check out at 160+ (right where they are supposed to be). All rod bearings were replaced & the engine was re-gasketed before we put it in the car. I could have a rod knock, cracked piston etc..? I'm thinking maybe my oil pickup is plugging up at higher rpm & the engine isn't getting enough oil. What do you experts think? I'm trying to avoid pulling the engine but that is probably where I will end up.
Thanks - Tom
P.S. The car hauls & keeps on pulling right on past 2,500 rpm (noise & all).

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
My guess is there's something wrong with a rod bearing. Dodgestang suffered a spun rod bearing on his new 351C in his 66 because some of the RTV used on the oil pan got loose and ended up in the oil pick up. Do a search and you'll see his mis fortune from a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe you had something unfortune like this happen.

472 into the Chevy? Great swap IMO. It's hard to imagine a 472 cu. in or 500cu.in motor weighing slightly more then a SBC! It must run unreal. Hey, if your motor is toast, get a 500 cu. in Caddy, that would be fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts