Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To date, I've done plenty of metal fabrication on my Mustangs, but I haven't run into this yet. Wondering what the best way to proceed is.

I have thin metal/rust on this section of the car. They don't reproduce this area from what I have seen so it looks like I need to repair it. It's curvy in three dimensions. If you can't tell from the photo what area I'm talking about, it is the section that attaches to the front inner wheelhouse and then back along the floor to the frame rail. Also, it needs to be replaced all the way back to where the metal ends toward the middle of the wheelhouse (not show in photo). Any ideas or am I just going to have to pound something similar out of new sheet metal?

http://12.218.33.38/vmf/rust1.jpg

http://12.218.33.38/vmf/rust2.jpg

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
It would not be that hard. I would just find some scrap metal that has a gentle angle (without a sharp crease) similar to what you have there. All kinds of junk parts from donor cars would have a similar angle. I'd cut the floor portion as wide as I want or need. Then since the donor part is most likely flat, I would start by welding it in from the top and hammer forming it as I went to give it the wheelwell curve.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
That piece is included in the new trunk floor / axle housing cover / rear floor pan repop floor .
It's like $400 for the piece . I had a rusty flange where it meets the wheel well on the pass side , same area .
I made a piece :)

If you can mig weld it's fairly easy to make the piece .

It takes strategic slicing , bending , and then welding the slice shut to form the curves . It arcs downward and sideways at the same time .
Here is the page where I repaired my rear seat riser and had to buld this piece your after :
Odd peace page .

PS , I miss-spelled "piece" on purpose to see if someone with a pet-peeve would show :rofl:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had to do this part the same way that Lemondrop did. Not as nice as his of course but he describes the way to do it. The patch panel available for the rear floor does have a portion of this area but does not go up far enough.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the writeup LD. That's what I was looking for. Peace out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts