Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my oil after 100 miles in my 331 and found very tiny particles colored silver, and copper/gold. I know the copper isn't good news... Your thoughts?

Thank you

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Spun bearing.

My 347 had one go after 300 km's.

I had to buy a new crank, rod and bearing set. Put it back together and now have 2 years on it.

You may have caught yours before any further damage. Good luck

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Have you cut open your oil filter to see what it has trapped? Sounds like the engine is eating itself (main bearings). I'd get in contact with your engine builder ASAP!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Did you cut open the oil filter to see if there are bigger pieces stuck in there?
Could tell you if it's a bigger problem than just a bit of break-in wear.

Can't think of anything other than bearings that would be the source of the gold/copper colored stuff. I'd be placing a call to the engine builder (unless that's you) to get their opinion on next steps.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't cut open the filter. So you guys think the motor definitely has to be torn down?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most all the particles came out of filter oil

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
If you have copper in your oil the motor is at minimum wounded. Pull it out and check the rods and mains, if they look good look to the cam bearings.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
I haven't cut open the filter. So you guys think the motor definitely has to be torn down?
I think you need to determine the severity, by pulling the pan (if capable) pulling a couple mains and rod caps and posting a pic. Otherwise, revisit whomever built this engine for a discussion.

·
Premium Member
13,095 Posts
Not what you, or anyone, would want to hear, but there's no easy way to sugarcoat news like this. Take the oil pan off and start removing main and/or rod bearing caps. You won't have to look for very long before you find the problem.

Z

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay. Thank you for the replies guys

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And no I'm not running a bronze distributior gear

·
Registered
35,234 Posts
So I changed my oil after 100 miles in my 331 and found very tiny particles colored silver, and copper/gold. I know the copper isn't good news... Your thoughts?
I think before you go nutz ripping your car apart, you need to flush and change the oil and drive another hundred miles and check it again. Having some metal in that first oil change is pretty normal.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
I think before you go nutz ripping your car apart, you need to flush and change the oil and drive another hundred miles and check it again. Having some metal in that first oil change is pretty normal.
Copper?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I put 100 miles on my 408W and had the oil analyzed here at work- there was so much crap in it that I about shipped my pants! My co-worker said change the oil and filter and run it some more. After another 200 miles, all the bad mojo numbers started to drop. Another 500 miles and they dropped again. Currently I have somewhere around 2,500 miles on the car, the last oil sample had nothing to worry about, and it runs and sounds great. Now I'm not saying to just drive yours and forget about it, just that there's a possibility that it could be nothing to worry about like mine... Hope that's the case for you too!!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts