Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, before I start welding new panels on the car (69 fastback) :chainsaw:, I would like to measure the unibody to make sure everything is "straight." I have the measurements from my shop manual. However, it shows that the tolerance of dimensions under 100" have a tolerance of 0.060" and dimensions over 100" have a tolerance of 0.120". :jawdrop:

What can i use to measure these long dimensions with that kind of accuracy? The manual talks about using a "measuring tram", but I have no idea what that is.

Any suggestions? TIA

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
i used to straighten mild frame damage on cars back around late 60's and we used equipment in the body shop like you speak of.
we used a long thick wall square tube marked off in 1/8 inch increments. there are 2 rods with 90 degree bends that can be hung from holes in the bottom of the frame front and rear, they are fastened to the long sqaure tubes so that they can be slide along the tube back and forth.
the hooks allows the rod to hang down low enuff so the you wont have the mufflers and tail pipes and other things in the way.
things are more advanced now ,so i doubt you will see them in a shop now, but, you probably could make your own ,if you can figure out a way to make a collar for the square steel tube to fasten and slide the hangers.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
check it in a cross pattern, front passenger to rear driver side.
AND
while your at it
level the long tube with the bottom of the frame rails, then take verticle messurements, from frame rail to the tube in several places and compare right side to left side.
just in case its sagging from an old hit.
if your inside a 1/4 inch your ok ,1/2 or more then look around the car a little closer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2"x2" square tube with collars of 2.5"X2.5", 3/16" wall (so the 2"x2" fits inside with just a small amount of wiggle) tube to which the hangers are attached should do the trick.
Thanks for the most excellent tip. I have been wondering how to do this myself.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Be sure to x measure under the hood to check for sway as well, don't worry so much about what the measurement is, just that they are equal. You have to be careful if using the measurements, most are from the center of a hole, not the edge. I agee with the other post on measuring the height, it you level the car at the torque boxes and have a level floor you can measure up from the floor, if not you need to hand gages on it like they do in the body shop. If your serious about it, shops usuall charge 2 hours labor to set up and measure, it may be the best money you can spend.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked with a local body shop and they said they would put it on the frame rack and check it for $150. I think its time to put the car on a trailer :)

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably build/buy a "tram" to verify my measurements when I start replacing sheet metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts