Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am in England and wondered if the original metuchen assembly plant is still there, as indeed are the other's? Just interested to know if the building where my 66 was built still stands?

Ian.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Ford closed the plant a few years back (2004 I think), but I don't know if it is still standing. There was a lot of talk about developers coming in and building something new on the site.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
The site has been under construction for several years and I believe they are putting in a mall and offices. It is right on US1 South.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Put up a mall! There's an old song...it goes "paved paradice and..."

Many years ago I worked at a huge manufacturing plant in West Allis Wisconsin. Name was Allis Chalmers,
It was similar to the Ford Dearborn plant...self contained, on site hospital, power plant,
RR tracks delivered raw materials like iron ore and shipped product. The plant covered
about 1/2 square mile. It's now a huge parking lot with open mall, big box and a huge Walmart!

·
Boiled Peanut
3,277 Posts
I remember as a kid, my Grandparents lived in Fords, NJ and we lived in New Brunswick, NJ. Every time we went to Grandmas, we'd pass the Ford plant on Rt.1 in Metuchen. I remember the parking lot full of Mustangs, and I mean FULL! Seemed like Mustangs as far as I could see. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And, for those of you that like musical references, I wonder if any other musician has made reference to the Metuchen Ford plant in song, other than our own Bruce Springsteen-here is an extra verse to the song Glory Days, which was omitted from the released version of the song on the Born in the USA album- yes, this is real, I have had the unreleased version of the song for years-

"My old man worked 20 years on the line and they let him go.

Now everywhere he goes out looking for work they just tell him that he's too old.

I was 9 years old when he was working at the Metuchen Ford plant assembly line.

Now he just sits on a stool down at the Legion Hall, but I can tell what's on his mind

Glory days
Yeah goin' back, glory days
Oh he ain't never had, glory days
Glory days"

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I flew over the plant at low altitude (in a commercial jet) about 15 years ago and snapped a few pics. I can at least say I saw the plant were both of mine were made.

The dealer that sold my 67 when it was new is still in business in Virginia and I was there about 5 years ago.
Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah I'd love to see those arial shots! My 66 GT Coupe was made there in late 65. It's now loved by my family in Melbourne, Australia.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I remember as a kid, my Grandparents lived in Fords, NJ and we lived in New Brunswick, NJ. Every time we went to Grandmas, we'd pass the Ford plant on Rt.1 in Metuchen. I remember the parking lot full of Mustangs, and I mean FULL! Seemed like Mustangs as far as I could see. Unbelievable.
Same here. Before the days of the superhighways US-1 was THE road between Philly and North Jersey. Went by the plant too many times to remember.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Three year old post

Hi, i am in England and wondered if the original metuchen assembly plant is still there, as indeed are the other's?
Ian.
The San Jose plant is now a mall. It still has the railroad spurs behind it. It did have displays windows with a mini mock-up assembly line with little plastic mustang models in various modes of assembly. Back 12 years ago different areas of the mall were devoted to different modes of transportation. This was to recognize the roots of the location. I don't live there now but last I heard they were trying to "distance" themselves from the previous history. They used to host a BIG Ford car show. I fondly remember those.

37.418640,-121.896980 - Google Maps

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I'll have to look and see if I can find them.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts