Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've dicussed this a bit before. I think we can all agree that it's tough to look macho in a Miata. I mean, two dudes going to lunch in a smurf blue Miata leaves little doubt in the minds of the general public. Even if they look like Hell's Angels, they might as well pop in a Wham cassette and crank Wake me up before you go-go to 11, 'cause nothing they do will convince people otherwise.

That is until you get them up to speed on a track in Spec form. Check out this video someone sent me of a TV reporter on a ride-a-long. Hilarity ensues at about 1:19. :thumbup:

Without further ado (sorry), the point of my thread:

This reminds me of the first time I met Bob. He was taking a co-worker out for a ride in the Shelby at Mid America. He'd gone out, finished about half a lap and immediately pitted....then continued a few minutes later. When I asked if he had a problem the response was, "nope, the guy got scared and wanted OUT!". Keep in mind, that was the WARM UP lap! ;)

Jokes about Bob's driving skills are sure to enter the reply field at some point in this thread. }:|
Sorry Bobby, that's just the way we roll 'round here. ;)

But my question to you is; have you ever given a ride to someone who thought they'd enjoy the "racing" experience, only to find out it really wasn't for them? Or driven in an event yourself and found it wasn't what you'd expected? :eek:

I know many of us (myself included) surfing this section have been bitten by the bug big time. The above video inspired me to hear from folks on the other side of the fence. ???

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
Sure I have. I took a friend around Sears Point who was literaly screaming and wailing like he was in terrible pain WITHIN THE FIRST 2-3 TURNS OF THE WARM-UP LAP!! He MADE me slow way down for the rest of the lap and drop him out in the pits.

Even my mother loved the much faster Thunderhill track. At one point just before the blind 'cyclone' turn she yells out, "I don't like this bit, I close my eyes". To which I replied, "so do I"!

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
SWMBO wanted to go for a ride when I was at the Porsche Club DE this past October. About half way through the first lap she yelled for me to take her in, said she was on the verge of spewing :eek:
She doesn't get motion sickness any other time, I think it was "Terror Sickness"

BTW, it was only half speed "parade laps"

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
OMG, that's the funniest thing I've ever seen!! They should use that in one of the credit card "priceless" commercials.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's a hilarious video!

I had the completely opposite reaction to my first track ride. So much so it made me change the direction of my restoration project build. Now, after 1.5 years, I've got my car back together, and I'm breaking in the new engine and working out all the bugs of all the new equipment in anticipation of I'm my very first track DRIVING experience this spring!!!

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
garner67 said:
That's a hilarious video!

I had the completely opposite reaction to my first track ride. So much so it made me change the direction of my restoration project build. Now, after 1.5 years, I've got my car back together, and I'm breaking in the new engine and working out all the bugs of all the new equipment in anticipation of I'm my very first track DRIVING experience this spring!!!
Welcome to the Dark Side, you will be assimilated ;)

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
:lol:
"AAAARRRgggh....OH GOD, GOD...AAAAARGGGHHH...YOU GONNA KILL ME!..."
:roflao:

Good stuff...

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
I am one of those people that do not like to ride in a race car, and I can explain why.

I do not have depth perception, so I cannot judge distance or speed. As a passenger, that makes me uncomfortable, as I am not in control of the vehicle. while driving, however, I have gained enough experience to be able to drive on the street, allowing conservative distances for turns into traffic and following distances.

I have not driven on a race track either, but I suspect I could do so given enough practice laps to gain the knowledge of braking points, apices (plural of apex), etc., but it would take a long time to do so.

One thing I did notice while being a passenger is that I developed a severe case of tunnel vision: no peripheral vision or ability to turn the head to see things around me. That was also very disconcerting.

Because of my individual problems, I have no desire whatsoever to be a passenger in a race car again. I am willing to be a driver, however, but have never found a comfortable venue to do so.

I hope my experience may explain why others may not like being a passenger.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
That's at Laguna Seca.

I especially love the end of the first lap when entering turn 1...!

I was lucky enough to drive a Spec Miata there for a day several years ago.

GREAT Cars!

Miatas are not Gay...

Just imagine that woman in something with some power!

:)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The loudest of the screaming comes right where you'd expect it--at the Corkscrew. }:|

I once took my mean, rotten, corrupted sister for a 50 sec (+ or -) ride through the cones. As we returned to grid, she said that I'd need a hose to clean off her seat. :lol: It got me at least somewhat even with her for all of the mean things that she did to me when we were kids.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I remember the priceless look on the face at CF6 when we were drag racing and we started doing ride alongs....and they found out I didn't have seat belts for the passenger seat in DT....at the tree.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I raced Miatas with my son for 13 years in SCCA and through another group, EMRA, Eastern Motor Racing Association, first in Showroom Stock and later in Spec Miata. A Spec Miata is a full out most fun for the buck car you can possibly race which is why Spec Miata is the fastest growing and the largest class in the history of the SCCA.

Regarding an OMG, holy s__t, get me the F__k out of this car experience here's my story. It happened at Pocono Raceway about 10 years ago. EMRA was having a school and was using one of the road race courses. I volunteered to instruct a young guy driving a Nissan240SX because I was driving the same car on the street and my Miata, like the Nissan, was rear wheel drive.

With him behind the wheel we drove the course for two laps at very moderate speed so I could show him the line. Then I told him to drive it as fast as he wanted but to stay within his comfort zone. He proceeded to miss all of the apexes, downshifted without heel and toe and was riding the clutch. I slowed him down and tried to correct all of these problems. Heel and toe was going to have to wait for another day and lots of street practice but I thought I could at least get him to brake at the proper points, hit the apexes and accelerate more or less correctly. After a few more laps I thought maybe I need to show him rather than tell him because he didn't seem to get it so we pulled into the pits and exchanged places. I took the car out for one lap at about 7/10s to get used to it and then told him I was going to show him what it was capable of doing so off we went at about 9/10s. Before we hit the second corner I could sense the fear in him. He just wanted to get out of the car asap. At the end of the lap we pulled into the pits. He open his seat belt, got out of the car and proceeded to hold on to the door for dear life. He was white as a ghost and managed to mumble, "I don't think this racing thing is for me." That's the last I saw of him. I think he spent the rest of the day in the PortoJohn.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Two things you can tell a student.

1) "Don't try to impress me"....

"because you won't"

2) "and don't try to scare me"....

"because I ALREADY AM!"

:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
A few years ago I had a '92 Mustang LX that I open tracked with the Shelby
club. I sold it because I decided I didn't have enough aggravation in my
life, and wanted some vintage stuff.

So, my Dad, who lives a couple thousand miles away, was coming to visit,
and we set his visit up to co-inside with a track event at Thunderhill.

There are no passengers allowed on the first session of the day, so
he went out with me on the second. I didn't notice anything out of the
ordinary. When we got back in the paddock, he took his helmet off
and was drenched in sweat. It looked like somebody had dumped a bucket
of water over his head. He said he almost lost breakfast, but didn't
want to make me stop because he thought it would spoil my session.

He tried the next session, but at the end of lap 2, he said I better
head in. He wasn't scared, it was just motion sickness. Probably with
some Dramamine he would've been ok, but we didn't think of that at the
time.

He said the only other time in his life that that had happened was
on a previous visit when he rode with me on Highway 1 along the coast.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
hahaha, these stories are great. I ahve never been in an open track car, but I really look forward to the experience. It's always a little disconcerting to have someone else behind the wheel and you along for the ride I am sure, especially on a track that you are not familiar with.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I second that. Being blind in one eye kills depth perception. I've never liked being passenger. Either I drive or we don't go.
As for the track exp, I have none and will hopefully change soon. But I have made SWMBO start praying in latin.

·
Registered
803 Posts
On the TV show GEARZ they installed a 5.0 with a t-5 into a miata, monstermiata.com you can buy a kit for around $3000.. it would still look gay , but i bet it would fly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts