Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you all read Scott Trent's post on the 70 Fastback we found in junction City Ky.It had been in a barn for many years,,,extremely solid unmolested car,,(by humans that is,LOL)The mice that invade these cars are of the supernatural powers.They actually ate the Freeze Stat wire that runs into the A/C air handler box. This wire is made of aluminum and has a chemical in it too to tell the stat how cold the Evaporator is getting.Badd-ass mice were in this car.Just be aware that they can also get into the A-pillar area,,,,Torque boxes(front&rear),,,Rails,,,,and always,,,,the Doors.Anywhere they make a nest,,,,they pee,,,,bring in outside moisture,,which starts the rotting process on an otherwise clean car when it was parked. They rot in the most unusuall places,,and sometimes can be incredibly costly to fix.We got lucky on this one,,,,so far looks like the metal dash frame and instruments(no tach,,,thank god) were ruined.Car is VERY solid otherwise,,,i think. Still,,,all rails and hiding spots will have to be blown out with compressed air to avoid a fire when i do what little metal work it needs.Just a tip for you folks from a guy who got the t-shirt from experience a long time ago about barn cars. Thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Mice do not stop for a pee, they leave a trail behind themselves which others follow to get into the same areas.Once a mouse has found his/her way into a car, more will follow until you can clean the trail so they cannot smell it.Had big problems with them in an old Volks I used for hunting..Found that by cleaning and spraying undercoat in the areas they were coming in would stop them,m also ended up plugging ahole or two as well. They eat pretty well anything from wires to sunvisors.Pakrats do the same only they can remove all the stuffing out of a seat without putting holes in the cover...hard landing on one of thoise, lol..been there done that..
Don

·
Registered
553 Posts
Any pictures floating around? Sounds like a good save. Barn cars are about all that is left around here. I live about 30mins from Junction City.

I sometimes get a mouse or two just having my car in the garage. I can imagine how much damage they could do if left unchecked for a period of time. yikes! ::

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Funny story... I drove to work one day after a week out of town. Mustang was under cover for the week. About 3 miles from home I see a brown thing begin to appear over the front of my hood. After I see it's a mouse, I thought if I got up to 70 or so, this little guy would peel off in the wind. No such luck. He's hanging on for dear life, with his fur buffeting all over the place. Then I figured, if he blows off, he'll probably get sucked in through my open window.

So I pull over and stop and he's STILL hanging on for dear life. I had to knock him off with my California duster.

I can only imagine what was going through his mind during the trip. I don't think he'll find his way back to my garage any time soon.

Brian

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I had one build a nest in my heater box once. For a couple of years after that, I would have a handful of carpet yarn periodically blow out on the floor when running the heater on the way to work. Also, a friend had a daily driven Jeep Cherokee that a mouse crawled into the air cleaner snorkel and built a nest around the filter element. Guess it was pretty funny when he pulled the top off the air cleaner to check his filter and the little mice jumped out, startling him. I can just see that air cleaner flying across the garage. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts