Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is probably a dumb question... So I just realized the two middle headlights in my 69 coupe is not working. Are those two considered the high beam lights?

Is there a specific way to turn it on? As far as I know, there are two stages when I pull the light switch and that's it. Even when I turn the knob all the way to the right I can see that the dome light turns on, but still no light on the middle two.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did not mention the headlight dimmer switch located on the floor. Do you know about this?
I did not know about it! I'm going to have to look when I get home... Exactly where its located? Does it control the whole thing or a pair at a time?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
To the left side of the floor pan in the area of the e-brake. Press it once high beams, (lights in the grill should come on) press again and your back to low beams.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The high beam switch on a 69 illuminates the inner lights and turns on the second filament on the outer lights. You still have high beams with only the outer lights working.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohhh I found it! My floor mat was covering it...

Also I saw this gray thing underneath... one wire seems to be connected to the light switch and another one to something else... Is this part of the high-beam switch wiring?

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Also I saw this gray thing underneath... one wire seems to be connected to the light switch and another one to something else... Is this part of the high-beam switch wiring?
That looks like an American Auto Wire (AAW) courtesy lamp, and note all the wires behind it are imprinted for the purpose of each. It would seem someone replaced all the original factory wiring with an AAW kit at some point. A fairly common occurrence.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts