Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at your new place in Florida.---Very nice. I think one of your pictures says your car was painted in 99. Is that before or after you needed some floor pans? If you did the floor pans after the paint job.---Why did you do it that way?---Just interested---Thanks --Frank.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Yes, the car was painted in 1999, about a year after I got it.

The entire underside was coated heavily with undercoating, and I later found some rust...not alot, but enough to be concerned with. I fixed some with fiberglass as a temporary patch, vowing to fix it correctly later.

About a year ago, I was greasing the front driver upper A-arm, and the zerk broke off! Holy Cow! Well, to replace the zerk, I'd have to remove that side of the suspension. Well, I should also replace the brake lines, as I don't know how old they were. Well hell, while I'm at it, I might as well pull the engine and freshen up the engine compartment. If I'm going to do that, I might as well go all the way and fix the rust on the undercarriage.

Painting the car that early was a big mistake, and I readily admit it. I just didn't know enough to know better. What made it worse was the bodyman screwed up the paint, and it bubbled, and I couldn't really get it fixed right. So....right now, the car is completely stripped of gear, and I hope to avoid further screwing up the paint job. If I do, well, that's OK too, but it will cost me more money than I have now. The restoration is kinda like therapy. I'm learning a lot in the process. Besides, I can't let everyone else do things on VMF that I know I should be able to do, but don't. So, I dived right in and will do things right. I figure about $2500 and 3-4 years should do the trick, so long as I avoid a full paint job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts