Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday, I went to Goodyear and got new tires for Midlife. I had 215x70-14 on 5" rims, and they looked very very pinched to say the least. I did some research, and found 195x75-14 were very close to the same diameter. The local Goodyear dealer tried to sell me Integrity or Assurance tires, but the sidewalls look terrible, so I splurged for a Kelly-Springfield tire. They only had 4 in stock, so my spare is on order. I took in only the wheels and tires, installing them myself on Midlife.

Thursday was rainy, so today was the first day I had a chance to take a test drive. Well, what a difference! With 30 psi vs. 28 psi before, the strength to turn at low speed has been dramatically reduced, now to a very acceptable level. My guess is that since the patch size has decreased, the friction at parking lot speeds has decreased as well. Plus, the tires look soooo much better on the car.

·
Premium Member
14,220 Posts
that size is similar to what I'm using (195/70-14) and I agree with your assessment. Much easier low speed turning, and I like the handling better than the 225/60-14 I was using.

Z. Ray

·
Registered
314 Posts
Glad to hear about easier turning, my 195/70/14's will be in Tues or Wed, down from 205/70's and still going to have 235/60's on the back.
Now to wait on the 17's

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you run the tires at 35 PSI it will turn easier, handle better and the tire will last longer as well. Almost every new tire made runs at least 35 psi or more nowdays. Try it you will see what I mean.
Al

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll do a bit of experimenting. When I changed tires on my Honda Maggotwaggon, they upped the pressure to 35 psi from 30 psi, and it acted quite squirrelly on the road. Decreased back down to 30 and it was fine.

I've heard the best method is to run the tires over a patch of water and examine the wet tread pattern exiting the patch. If it is uniform across the tread along the entire length, then you've nailed the pressure. No water at the end in the center means overinflated; no water at the end at the sides of the tread means underinflated.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My coupe just got a new set as well. I ended up with the a set of Goodyear sized at 185/75 r14. PSI is around 35 (according to my glove box gauge) and I'm happy thus far.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
In the second picture, the tire looks underinflated. BTW, I run 30 psi in my tires on the mustang, and it handles well. Any more, and it's squirrely. By comparison, I run 65 psi in my F150 tires ( E load range) You know your car better than any of us. Experiment, and stick with what feels right to you.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Yep, don't know if the angle of the pic, but it looks like there isn't 35 psi in that tire....

·
Registered
535 Posts
A trick that 4-wheelers use to determine tire inflation pressures: Rub chalk across the tread, then drive a block or so, check the wear of the chalk-to be inflated properly the wear should be even from side to side. Not too difficult to figure out under or over inflation.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ask the sheep, they will tell you the right pressure to exert.... LOL

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Jon Kehayias said:
Ask the sheep, they will tell you the right pressure to exert.... LOL

http://cmaynard.com/Misc/sheep_fronta.jpg
"but I want more pressure"

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Congratulations! Another convert to LogicLand!
As I keep preaching (to mostly deaf ears!) 195s are the right size, right fit, and right look for those 5" wheels.
Amazing how much easier it is to turn that steering wheel, too, huh?!
Looks great on an already awesome looking car! :cool:

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tire looks slightly underinflated, due to the angle of the camera. I checked this AM, and it was dead-nuts on 30 psi.

I love these new tires!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
That would partly explain why is doesn't look like 35psi.! :eek: ie 30 is less thsn 35!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts