Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a welder. It been some time since I used one. I know I do not want a buzzbox. A unit with variable feed, 220V and at least a 70ish and 90ish settings.
Why is there a large range of pricing? I and planning to only usde flux core. Would this be good enough on the 90Amp setting for welding Mustang frame work?
Any advice is welcome!
Walt ::

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Also keep your eyes peeled for someone selling a used commercial machine, like the SP 200 I use in the shop. If I were to sell it, it would likely be priced in the range of many of the new personal welders, but with much more adjustability, duty cycle, and stitch-weld and spot-weld timers.

IMO, once you start welding, you'll vastly prefer gas shielding, which is what MIG means (metal inert gas). I only use flux core wire for deep penetration fab work, like steel shapes.

There's a lot of VMF'ers out there welding, so I'm sure you'll get lots of advice...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I also have a Hobart and I like it. Here is a good site to do some research one, but I found that the local welding supply store could get it just as cheap. They are also a good source to ask questions.

www.cyberweld.com

·
Registered
804 Posts
I also have a Hobart Plasma cutter, but wish I would have bought a bigger one. This one runs on 110 and cuts body panels ok, but struggles with the bigger stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts