Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching and looking for a header to fit my 66 that has the R&C MII front set up. R&C said to use JBA1655 header. It's a mid length header. I was hoping I could find a full length header to get the most out of the 351W thats stroked to a 418. I found these headers and they look great but I fear they may not work with the cable clutch set up.

I've read some very old threads from early 2000 where some say to use a fox body header. I would think that there are better options by now. I was even looking a equal length headers for a fox body if I had to stay with a short header. I would rather spend half as much on a header if I am stuck using a short or mid length header. Meaning why pay over $600 for the JBA 1655 headers when the fox body equal lengths are half the cost, if the fox body would fit. Again I prefer to stay with a long tube header. I think the bigger 418 would benefit from them more than a stock 302 would.

I do not know the cam specs yet. I bought the engine used and the paperwork says it was a custom cam. Trying to reach the builder to see if I can get that info so I can select the right size carb. I have a G force built T5 speed and will most likely have a 3.70 rear gear. Car will be mostly street driven with PS, PB and AC.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
264 Posts
I've been researching and looking for a header to fit my 66 that has the R&C MII front set up. R&C said to use JBA1655 header. It's a mid length header. I was hoping I could find a full length header to get the most out of the 351W thats stroked to a 418. I found these headers and they look great but I fear they may not work with the cable clutch set up.

I've read some very old threads from early 2000 where some say to use a fox body header. I would think that there are better options by now. I was even looking a equal length headers for a fox body if I had to stay with a short header. I would rather spend half as much on a header if I am stuck using a short or mid length header. Meaning why pay over $600 for the JBA 1655 headers when the fox body equal lengths are half the cost, if the fox body would fit. Again I prefer to stay with a long tube header. I think the bigger 418 would benefit from them more than a stock 302 would.

I do not know the cam specs yet. I bought the engine used and the paperwork says it was a custom cam. Trying to reach the builder to see if I can get that info so I can select the right size carb. I have a G force built T5 speed and will most likely have a 3.70 rear gear. Car will be mostly street driven with PS, PB and AC.
I dropped a 5.0L with a T5 in my 65, the fox body short headers would not even come close to fitting. I bought Hedman headers for a 65 and they fit great, I have the cable for my clutch. I don't think you should worry about 5 hp more from long tube headers. I think long tubes will be an issue under the clutch housing.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts

BBK 1569 351W Fox body swap headers will fit. This is a thread I started about 9 years ago on my wifes 64 Comet. The real issue is clearing the frame rails once the shock towers are removed. 65/66 Mustangs are wider between the frame rails then the 64/65 Falcon/comets.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BBK 1569 351W Fox body swap headers will fit. This is a thread I started about 9 years ago on my wifes 64 Comet. The real issue is clearing the frame rails once the shock towers are removed. 65/66 Mustangs are wider between the frame rails then the 64/65 Falcon/comets.

I did lower the engine about 1/2 inch. I wonder how the ground clearance is and I would guess the 1569 headers should work with the T5 clutch cable since they are made for a fox body car. Sadly the new price is close to the price of the ones R&C suggested. I will shop around and see if I can find anything local to try and maybe buy.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
The ground clearance is decent. Have you already mocked up the engine with the 1/2" drop. I would be concerned with the Rack clearing the oil pan. Not all Fox body headers will work but the BBK headers fit great and are 1 3/4" tubes. Not worth the hassle of trying different headers if you want long tubes. Been there done that. If you find something else that works update this thread or send me a PM. $469.99 for the chrome version.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's time consuming but if you can weld you can try the make it yourself kits.

Reactions: RTM

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the mounts have been welded in place. The mock up was done with a short block with the oil pan in place as well as the T5 mounted to the short block. The only reason I did this was because I bought the kit from someone that had bought it and planned on using a mod motor. So I had to buy the correct mounts and weld them so I tried to move it back and down as much as I could.

My welding skills are ok but I’ve never tig welded before. I have access to a tig welder and I’ve considering making my own headers. But is it really worth the effort and learning curve for me to make them.

I don’t want to try and find other headers that fit. Like most I’m building my car as I get the funds. Which is the reason for the post. Find the best bang for my buck.

There are three things I like about the BBK headers. 1 3/4 tubes, they have the O2 sensor mounts in place so I can use them if I go with one of the aftermarket efi carb set ups and that they are long tube. I don’t like the chrome and would prefer SS.

I have time to shop for them so maybe I will find a good deal if I’m patient enough.

·
Registered
90 Posts
HURRICANE HEADERS , Sydney, Australia, go to Intl Directory service, Heading out Sydney west along Paramatta Road. Might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Chucky are you sure those headers will clear the steering shaft on the MII rack. Most long tube headers will not unless they are designed for the foxbody. Have you used them in that application?

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I am in the middle of a M2 front end conversion as well and from what I have learned these are specific for 65-70 351W swaps. Its what I have on my list to install. I believe JBA makes a swap header as well, but don’t have the part #. Run a quick search. Works with a 5 speed, and with no shock towers there should be plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am in the middle of a M2 front end conversion as well and from what I have learned these are specific for 65-70 351W swaps. Its what I have on my list to install. I believe JBA makes a swap header as well, but don’t have the part #. Run a quick search. Works with a 5 speed, and with no shock towers there should be plenty of clearance.
IN ALL HŌNESTY (having owned my own header manufacturing business & exporting to UK classic car market etc) @ $803 You may as well run a Std pair of Early 289 manifolds OR someones removed OEM Fox Body ones - for all the good those $803 unequal length, too short to do anything JBA Headers, more than shine up Pretty being stainless, if polished, for that amount $ Coin
rps20191209_102907.jpg
Truely !.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Yes they will fit. no issue with that. I have not seen a pair installed to know if they will clear the steering shaft that runs from the rack to the column Keep us posted on the install.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JBA 1653SJS 1 5/8” shorty headers
$803
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not see anything in the description that the 1653SJS will fit the MII swap. They do say they are for a 351W swap but no mention of them fitting the MII set up.

I do not think the 88660 headers are for the MII swap either. They really look like they would hit the steering shaft of the MII set up.

I posted this header (JBA6612SJT) above, or one like it as it comes in several coatinged or non coated options. I just need to verify if they work with a T5 cable set up. Don't need to be melting clutch cables all the time. This is the header I'm leaning towards. Was hoping there were more options but feared I would have to drop $700-$800 on headers. The uncoated SS version is $700 and the coated are $800.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have sent Jegs an email asking if that model header JBA 6612SJT will fit a T5 transmission.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jegs said the headers will fit the T5 and MII set up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Jegs said the headers will fit the T5 and MII set up.
They Ought to - Collectors end miles away from any transmission, unless its the particular manual clutch setup you are concerned about.
Again, for the $ in the Hedman 88660's I'd opt for those , with the understanding you are going to do some cutting & shutting (perhaps with flanges) on a couple of tubes, to get around swap obstacles, if any - we've had to go to far greater lengths in some swaps when there was NOTHING avail: if you wanted it, you had to make/fabricate it (& often from that, a little cottage industry sprung) much like Early original Post war aftermarket parts
Screenshot_2020-03-18-11-25-57.png
industry.
Above
Screenshot_2020-03-18-11-27-31.png
Screenshot_2020-03-18-11-19-33.png
Screenshot_2020-03-18-11-20-22.png
Screenshot_2020-03-18-11-25-57.png
Screenshot_2020-03-18-11-27-31.png
Screenshot_2020-03-18-11-19-33.png
are the Hedman 88660 351W into '65-73 Mustang/Cougar...
Cheap enough to modify or farm out to modify compared to near Std manifold type $807 JBA's mentioned, but ea to his own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts