Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my 65' coupe with a stock 289-2v. (on a budget)
Here is what I was considering:

1. Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
2. Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM carb
3. Edelbrock Performer Cam

What do you think? Will these components work well with am all stock engine? I hope to be able to upgrade additional parts in the future.....

Let me know your thoughts... should I consider other products?
Who should I order from. who has the best prices?

Thanks all.

Eric

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think that you have a pretty good selection.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Eric,

Everything sounds good. Check with Edelbrock about the cam selection and the use of stock valve springs. You may need beefer springs if you go with an aftermaket cam. Other than that, go for it!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It's a good start and you will notice a power increase. However, fairly recently a mag did a step by step upgrade and didn't find a big difference until the whole package was put together, ie headers, dual exhaust and head improvements. Of course one of the biggest boosts to acceleration comes from changing the rear end ratio.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Eric, you may wont to concider the "prefomer" verses the
preformer (rpm). The rpm settes a little higher and you
may not have the room when the hood is down, just a thought.

·
7,051 Posts
IIWY I'd do the intake and carb but hold off on the cam. Spend your cam money on your exhaust. You won't be able to buy new...but you should be able to find some used headers for $50 or so. Take it to a muffler shop and have them install you a nice dual exhaust package with some type (h or x) crossover.

Then later on you can go though another phase and look at a new cam/lifters/spings/rockers/timing chain set in conjuction with working on your heads...either a simple portmatching/reworking/possible milling operation...or chucking them and getting some aluminum heads. But unless this is the end of your work right now...any cam you buy will not be optimum down the road if you want to do more work.

Does that make sense?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Phil

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You've made solid choices. As others have suggested evaluate the heads and the exhaust system to maximize performance upgrades. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I can tell you from direct experience that just those three changes give your engine some punch, but not too much! I used a Performer 289 intake (came with engine) in lieu if the Performer RPM; I also recurved the dizzy, added the Pertronix unit, a Flamethrower coil, matching valve springs, '70 351W heads and other stuff.

The engine was greatly held back, due to the stock heads and no headers.

You've a good start, but the differences are not staggering, so your engine will be quite mild.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would follow the path of carb/intake, pertronix, then tri-y headers. The cam should be much later.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Good choices and don't forget to do the timing chain/timing gears, too. If it's already apart you might as well do it since you have to take it all off anyway. Dual exhaust is also a good thing to consider. Lots of choices out there but I use Flowmaster Deltaflow 50 series and am happy with them. Not too noisy and they are torquey.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,336 Posts
I agree with HosierBuddy. I just replace my cam and intake. Cost me $700 to do it the right way. Remember, it's not just the $100 or so for a cam, you may need valve springs, retainers, locks, seals etc.

In my case I bought a complete cam kit from Summit. Cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, chain and lube. You need to make sure all these components are matched, they are in a kit. You'll also need gaskets, $50 - $100 to button back up your motor. 2-3 oil changes + filters, antifreeze, sealants etc. The cost of a cam swap get's expensive!

IMHO, Summit rocks! I get most parts from them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Have you concidered a tracktion loc and 3.50 rear gears? It really won't mater if your installing them in an 8" rear end. It will hold up fine to almost any naturally asperating engine. It will give you more 0-60 power than anything else you can do. I wouldn't go any more than 3.50 gears without overdrive.

You live up north so it might not be too hard to find a posi. mustangs, mustang II's, granada's and a lot of other old fords had the 8" center sections and a lot of people up north buy posi to get through the snow. Then buy some gears because you probably won't any good ones.

Also if your on a budget you should consider a factory intake with a 4100, ford explorer gt-40 P heads and a set of headers that will bolt to them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The performer rpm fits fine in my '66 with a 2" element or use a drop base air cleaner and a 3" element as I did. Leaves about 1" of clearance. My 289 is built close to the same as you plan except with tri-y's, an MSD ignition, and it would have just a little more compression. With stock 2.83 gears the car was equal to a relatives nearly stock '94 GT. I bumped up the gears and now the car is incredible.
-Brian

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Lose the RPM intake on a stocker with stock converter and gears....try something milder, like the Performer or the Cobra intake I have on the D-coder. I would only get the RPM if you anticipate going to more CR, looser converter and/or more gear in the near future.

Don't forget exhaust...better manifolds or shorties is what I'd use, along with a free flowing exhaust system.

With stock compression, ignition is likely fine unless you want more time between tuneups...then Pertronix and/or MSD would be a good choice, along with a better coil (although I've used stock ones with no problems)..

Have fun!

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with camachanist. drop the performer RPM intake and go with the performer or an older edelbrock F4B. The performer package likes a 10:1 compression to be effective, and you have to run a free flowing exhaust. remember, match your parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts