Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
21.5 Miles per Gallon.

Since I put the 4R70W in my convertible a lot of people have been asking what kind of mileage I get. Well...I never bothered to check it so I didn't know.

Yesterday, I drove down to Nashville, TN and today I drove back. Most of it was on the interstate...but some was in and around Nashville. On the interstate I was NOT trying to get good mileage. I was trying to keep up with traffic...which seems to run about 80 in Tennessee and 75 in Kentucky.

Anyway specs are:
'65 Convertible. 289. Holley 4160 600CFM 4V. AFR aluminum heads, Comp Extreme Energy Cam, Roller Rockers, JBA Headers, Flowmasters, etc.
AOD-E/4R70W Transmission (.7:1 Overdrive with Lockup T/C)
2.80 8" open rear axle (Denver I haven't put that 3.55 posi in yet! I'll install it once the weather gets poor!)

As I said, I was pretty happy with that figure. Before the tranny swap I got 12 - 14. I'm sure I could do even better if I tried...but frankly...I'd rather drive hard and have fun.

Phil

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Thats great! I really like my AOD, even thou it is the old wireless type :eek:. bcombs and myself compared notes on our 351W with AODs and 3.50 final gearing and discovered that we both can get 21 MPG on the highway as well. My W is only slighty warmed and I drove at a steady 70 MPH on a road trip from Silicon Valley to Austin. You will LIKE the response of the lower gears after living with those 2.80 gears. John

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
21 with a 351w? Man, I'm jealous! I don't do too bad, though. I've averaged 18 before with my beefed up 289 and AOD on a round trip from Sacramento to San Francisco, which included a bit of city driving (this was with the 2.79 gears).

70sportsroof and I roughly calculated my mileage from Reno to Sacramento at 18mpg, but it's hard to be accurate when my speedometer is just a "ball park figure now" *LOL*. This is with the 3.50 gears.

I agree on the steeper gears, although, it does tend to make the gas mileage suffer a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts