Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, how many miles are neccesary on a motor before converting to synthetic motor oil? 500? 1000? 3000?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was advised by the Ford mechanic where I bought my new Mach1, that I could change over to synthetic at the first oil change. I waited until I had 3,000 miles on it before I did it. I don't think there is any hard fast rule.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
A lot of new cars come straight from the factory with synthetics in them already, any time shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I've broken in my last three motors with synthetic from the start.

Never been a problem, I think the issues associated with engine break-in and synthetic oil are mostly urban legend. Some people say rings wont' seat, I've never had a problem... ::

If you like synthetic oil, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

K

·
0 Posts
I have a report concerning synthetic oil that was trying to asnwer the question as to whether syn was better than dino for the average vehicle. The short answer 'no'.
Syn was developed for extremes be they aircraft, military usage, temps, maintenance. For the normal usage passenger car that the owner maintains with 3k mile oil changes syns are a waste of money. Of course the old addage applies, 'its your car and you do what you want' so if it makes you feel better, do it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
A lot of new cars come straight from the factory with synthetics in them already, any time shouldn't be a problem.
I'm not sure that's a good benchmark to use - new engines are assembled using parts and tolerances that are "synthetic ready." I wouldn't want to count on older-spec engines assembled with high-performance parts not needing a normal oil break-in period.

I plan to use regular 5-30 with changes at 1000 and 3000 miles, then run 10-30 Mobil 1 with changes at 5000/1 year intervals. Part of my reason for choosing synthetic is its better tolerance of time between changes when mileage isn't high.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
My Keith Craft stroker came with specific oil recommendations, one was not to use synthetic oil. I called them about this and was told I could use it after the break in period, some friction would be required to achieve a good ring seat.

Many believe and practice an extended drain interval when using synthetic oil. While this is true to a point, but it does deserve some discussion. The big concern I have with using an extended drain interval is liquid contamination of the oil. Oil filters will remove particulate matter from the oil but cannot remove liquid contamination. Namely water from condensation and fuel. Both of these will cause sludge to form in an engine. Other than changing the oil the only way to remove these is to boil them away. High oil and engine temperatures long enough to boil them away.

So those of us who do not have a daily driver, use synthetic and replace the oil twice a year are taking a chance at having sludge develop in their engines.

Synthetic oils are an excellent product, I use them in my daily driver, in time I will probably use it in my Mustang. I will however replace it as often as the mineral oil just to be sure that it remains contaminate free.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would agree with you in the sense that you shouldn't throw your money out by changing the oil with synthetic after initial break in, then again at 100 miles and 1000 miles to remove leftover shavings, etc. Also depends on the engine (turbocharged?) and it's intended use as well. I've got dino guts in the Mustang, but only synthetic in the GN.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I put about 800 miles on before switching to Mobile1 and I use the Mobile filter. Interesting to note that I saw a 10 PSIG increase in oil pressure.

If you are of the mindset that an engine is broken in until you have 5000 miles then you probably subscribe to the idea that syn isn't good until 5000 miles.

My belief is that the engine is 95% broken in after 3-4 hard pulls. Therefore, I had no issues with switching to syn.

Syn is sold based on extended oil change intervals but thats not the reason most on the VMF would use it. The reason I use it is based on the friction and wear rate tests I have looked at. Syn reduces internal engine friction for sure. I plan to run a year between changes.

As far as moisture goes, oil temperature should exceed 212 DEGF occasionaly and that would take care of the moisture. Too cold of a T-stat is the main cause of engine sludge. The second is short driving distance.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Syn is sold based on extended oil change intervals but thats not the reason most on the VMF would use it. The reason I use it is based on the friction and wear rate tests I have looked at. Syn reduces internal engine friction for sure. I plan to run a year between changes.

As far as moisture goes, oil temperature should exceed 212 DEGF occasionaly and that would take care of the moisture. Too cold of a T-stat is the main cause of engine sludge. The second is short driving distance.
I agree, and I think it can also be concluded that since synth oil reduces friction in any engine, that there is a benefit to running it in any engine, regardless of use.
One thing I found with synth oil is that (at least with Redline Oil) it doesn't mix with water at all. So if the oil gets contaminated with water/coolant, as with a blown head gasket, the oil will not turn milky and you will not have that warning indicator.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thats an interesting observation.

Last week, I had to pull the oil pan to re-do the turbo oil drains. In the bottom of the pan, I found very small, intact, water drops about the dia of a pencil lead. I think this is just condensation but I was using dino 10-40W

·
Registered
721 Posts
Any of you guys use synthetic tranny fluid? I'm thinking about it...

By the way I think one of the "Five Oh" magazines did a dyno test of mineral versus synthetic oils. Synthetic frees up 2-3 HP from reduced friction.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I was planning to run RP synthetic, but my tranny guy scrunched up his nose and said, "Nahh, just run a good mineral-based."

·
Registered
345 Posts
According to this guy, you should only switch to synthetic after 12.000 miles. Don't know if that's good advise, but he sure seems to know his oils.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts

By the way I think one of the "Five Oh" magazines did a dyno test of mineral versus synthetic oils. Synthetic frees up 2-3 HP from reduced friction.
was the article sponsored by one of those synthetic-oil vendors? ::

1 - 16 of 16 Posts