Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm out on a shake down run in a customer car - 70 Mach I, 429 4V out of a 68 T-bird, maxed out, tremec 5-speed, 3.50 posi, 17x9 TT-2s, you get the idea. I take it over to try to impress some of my buddies. We're all standing around looking at the engine and all of a sudden BOOM! The lower radiator hose blows off and it's the green shower of love all over the car.

Aforementioned buddies are NOT impressed with the $16 puddle of green in the parking lot. ::

This is a custom made hose, since the 429 outlet is 2 inch and the big block 70 radiator is 1.75 inch, so I'm thinking I'm in for a replacement on my dime. Nope, just blew off the top 'cause it has to take an immediate 90 degree and it doesn't want to do that!

I guess that why we shake them down.

P.S. - it's fat. photos soon.

Dave ::

·
Registered
446 Posts
DOH, no harm no foul, just a slap on the forehead.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I wouldn't call that a doofus. A doofus is something YOU did. Like the other day, when I was backing up my kids' '65 fb to parallel park, and a neighbor came along. I decided to pop the clutch and spin the tires a little. It turns out the hairpin that holds the clutch rod to the Z-bar had popped out somewhere down the road (or SOMEONE failed to install it in the first place?). The clutch dump popped the rod out of the Z-bar, leaving me with a tire-spinning car, with no clutch, heading backwards toward another parked car. Now THAT was a doofus. (No, I didn't smack the other car; just clamped on the brakes and stalled the engine. You think I'd tell about it if I'd hit the other car?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts