Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a few posts about mini tubbing my 68 fastback. My simple goal is to put a 18X10 94-2004 rim and tire in the back without sticking out of the wheel well. Maybe use a drag radial. What is the most effective "mini tub" option do I have? I dont want to changed the interior or leaf spring location. Do I need to shorten my axels or 9inch rear?

If someone can point me to the correct article or how to, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I still have never seen a proper article on how to mini tub the 65-70 Mustangs... but after doing mine, and talking to various high profile builders including the ring brothers I have gathered sufficient info to be able to pass on what is hopefully enough insite on how to mini tub.

Couple things first tho..

What are the specs on the 18x10 wheel (backspacing?)
The backspacing of the wheel will determine if you need to shorten the rear end/axles or not - a larger or smaller backspacing has no bearing on how much space your wheel tub has, it only makes the difference on how the wheel fits into that space.

Also, what size tire are you wanting to run? From my experience you can run a 275 rear tire on a 67-70 without mini tubbing on most cars - having said that, all cars are different so make sure you always measure!
I run a 295/35/18 on a 10" wheel on my car and it is mini tubbed - there is still some room to spare (I run a Ridetech 4 bar setup so I gain a little extra room over the leaf spring cars)

On a 70 Pro Touring Mach 1 my and I built we went with a 275/40/18 on an 18x10 with 6.25 backspacing (if memory serves me correctly) and it fit with no wheelhousing mods. On a 70 you have some more in the wheel tub though. This tire and wheel combo makes for a perfectly square fitting tire on the rim, meaning no tire bulge on either side.

The most restrictive part of the wheel housings on theses cars are the front lower corner on the inner wheel housing and the back rear corner on the inner wheel housing. If you are able to get a tire and wheel mounted and fit up into the car (either by bolt it on, or by having the rear end removed and simply lifting the tire/wheel up into place) this will give you an idea of if it will fit, or what you will need to do to make it fit. Like I said, all cars seem to be different so make sure you measure and test a wheel before you take someone else's measurements or advice to the bank.

Sometimes it could be as simple as massaging the front lower corner of the inner wheel housing and then you're done (if you were to run a 275 for example)

If you want to run a bigger tire and a low ride height - you would need to cut out the inner wheel housing (can do this a couple ways, but most popular is to cut along the inner/outer wheel housing seam, leaving 1" of the inner housing still attached) the make a strip of whatever you're pre determined amount is, then weld it all back together.

On my car I went just to the frame rail on the back, then squared off on the front - and I can still run the interior panels and like I say, I could probably run a 315 rear tire, but that would be super tight and I wanted a super low ride height so I scaled back a little on the rear tire size.

Another thing to think about... How low are you wanting the car to ride? This can have some impact too.. If you want a super low tucked look, you're going to want to allow yourself some extra room on either side of the wheel, to allow for axle articulation, especially if you are running a leaf spring setup.

If you want that tucked and low stance - the proper way to do it is
detemine how far you can go before your interior panel will be affected - this is generally right up flush with the inner quarter panel mounting bracket off the floor
to remove the rear end and leaf springs all together
buy your two rear rims and tires
cut out the inner housings
mock up both rear tires and measure from mounting surface to mounting surface on the rear wheels and this will give you the overall width for your rear end
Have the rear end made (or shorten your stock rear end)
Now when it all goes back together the wheels fit perfectly in the tub
and its a matter of completing the wheel tubs and you're done

If you pick up a copy of the Build Book 5 Reactor Mustang -this is the complete build book on the ring brothers reactor mustang. One of the first things they take pictures of is the mini tubbing of the car - this could be helpful for you to show you how they did it.

anyways I know it's a long rant.. but hopefully this gives you some ideas/insite for your project and how to do a mini tub

PS - my sig pic is very old and out dated, but I can't seem to figure out how to change it lol- the car has drastically changed since that last picture

Good Luck
Tom

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
PS - my sig pic is very old and out dated, but I can't seem to figure out how to change it lol- the car has drastically changed since that last picture
So post a link to the new photo ;)

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
The 10 inch wide rim won't stick out if it has the right backspacing, the question to ask is...what size tire are you going to put on it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Clevor stang I have a small sheet metal shop in deptford. if you wanna get something made pm me. We can discuss what you want and I will take care of you.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
You might not be able to use the 94-04 18 x 10 rim.
I am using the 94-04 17 x 10.5 rim. It has a little more backspacing (6.9) than the 18 x 10 (6.3).
So the center of the wheel is going to push out, therefore the outer edge of the tire will be closer to the outer fender lip, when using the 18" rim.

You can remove the old inner wheelhouse, get a reproduction one, and remove all of the sheet metal to the frame. When you put the repop wheelhouse in, you will gain about 1" of space, and clearance for articulation.

Critical spot is the forward section of the inner wheelhouse (as mentioned.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the vintage venom cobra brake conversion kit on my car. This allows you to use 94-2004 17X8 or you could squeeze 17X9 on the front. The more I think about it, I am going with a 17 inch rim. The car will be lowered and I love the stance of ripped stang... it perfect!! I guess Ill simply perform ripped suggestions and gain about an inch on each side than take measurements. Ill be sure to post pics of the progress and measurements when its completed. Than I will purchase the rims. I am lucky to have a set of 15 X 10.5 bogarts for my 99GT that I use at the track. This will be a good test rim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts