1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,271 Posts
I think he did.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Looks that way. Also just an FYI the standard mirror for the driver side that is often installed on the passenger side is kinda useless for actual visibility on the opposite side of the car and even the wide angle convex passenger mirror that has the "objects are closer than they appear" on it isn't much better. If you are doing this get that one though.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Looks that way. Also just an FYI the standard mirror for the driver side that is often installed on the passenger side is kinda useless for actual visibility on the opposite side of the car and even the wide angle convex passenger mirror that has the "objects are closer than they appear" on it isn't much better. If you are doing this get that one though.
I use my passenger mirror all the time and when it gets bumped in the garage, I will pull over to fix it as it drives me nuts if its not adjusted correctly... just another POV so to speak ;o)

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
My driver side mirror blunder, was reusing the same holes drilled by the PO. Even though useful, its placement had the mirror partial blocking the opening of my Vent window. Had I been conscience of this during my loooong restoration I could have filled and relocated it correctly. After it was panted and everything is back together, then, I noticed. Dumb and dumber.......

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,327 Posts
My Scott Drake passenger side mirror came with the rubber inserts that expand when you tighten them. Not quite as good as nutserts, but way better than sheetmetal screws. Also, I used the mirror (which is exact) as the template to mark the holes rather than the gasket. I've heard the comments about declining quality at Scott Drake, but this mirror and door handles were very nice. This was about a year ago...

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I use my passenger mirror all the time and when it gets bumped in the garage, I will pull over to fix it as it drives me nuts if its not adjusted correctly... just another POV so to speak ;o)
I like having a passenger mirror since you might catch a glimpse of something in it and avoid an accident. I just can't see hardly anything out of the convex one and even less out of the old standard one I had. I do prefer to have it there though.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Out of an abundance of caution, or did they need reinforcement?
Ford switched to the Rivnuts in 67 when the mirrors got bigger and heavier. They work very well and are less likely to vibrate loose.

Reactions: Banks

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
All of this "mirror" talk has caused me to revisit my mirror installation. Although my mirrors have been stable for over 15 years, I do like the aspect of the Riv-nuts. I think, I have these nuts already left over from another project. My problem will be how to cover a hole in the fender from the relocation as I have to move the mirror further back to clear the Vent window.
Currently, my mustang is tied up with this Lt switch/LED Dash bulb project, might as well add to it while waiting on parts. My headlight switch (NPD - NC) is arriving tomorrow and Saturday is going to be a rainy day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts