Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the afternoon to swap in the new wires and the new distributor cap. Now I'm getting misfires. Am I supposed to reset the timing or anything else? It was running fine before I swapped out the cap and rotor.

A little background.. it's a Mallory Unilite distributor that the previous owner put a standard distributor cap on. I just swapped over to a Mallory cap with the spark plug type connections. The cap is a bit bigger than what was previously on the distrib. So... will adjusting the timing fix the misfires? Or is it something else?
Thanks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Check your firing order again....sounds like you crossed a couple of plug wires....

G

·
0 Posts
It's the firing order! I've done that job a hundred times, and have NEVER got it right the first time!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's the firing order. When I took off the old plugs, I marked the distributor cap with a Magic Marker for each terminal starting with #4 and moving forward to 3, 2, and 1. Then the same on the driver's side with #'s 8,7,6, and 5. I also had my manual out there with me to verify things as I disconnected them and they matched up.

When I installed the new cap, I made sure to transfer the markings to the new cap. The Dist cap will only fit a certain way because of a little nub on the distributor so I'm pretty sure I matched the terminals from the old cap to the new one. I also had my gf check the manual against the order I connected (an inpartial third party) and she said I attached it up the same as the manual and the markings on the old cap..

I swapped in a new rotor that came with the new Distrib cap, so that shouldn't be a problem should it?

What gets me even more is that I pulled everything off and reinstalled the old distributor cap, rotor, and wires and everything was running as it should.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts