Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took the afternoon to swap in the new wires and the new distributor cap. Now I'm getting misfires. Am I supposed to reset the timing or anything else? It was running fine before I swapped out the cap and rotor.

A little background.. it's a Mallory Unilite distributor that the previous owner put a standard distributor cap on. I just swapped over to a Mallory cap with the spark plug type connections. The cap is a bit bigger than what was previously on the distrib. So... will adjusting the timing fix the misfires? Or is it something else?
Thanks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Check your firing order again....sounds like you crossed a couple of plug wires....

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If you're still using the old rotor with the bigger cap there may be too much clearance between cap and rotor causing the misfires. Get the appropiate rotor to go with that new cap.

I'm assuming the plug wires are installed correctly.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's the firing order. When I took off the old plugs, I marked the distributor cap with a Magic Marker for each terminal starting with #4 and moving forward to 3, 2, and 1. Then the same on the driver's side with #'s 8,7,6, and 5. I also had my manual out there with me to verify things as I disconnected them and they matched up.

When I installed the new cap, I made sure to transfer the markings to the new cap. The Dist cap will only fit a certain way because of a little nub on the distributor so I'm pretty sure I matched the terminals from the old cap to the new one. I also had my gf check the manual against the order I connected (an inpartial third party) and she said I attached it up the same as the manual and the markings on the old cap..

I swapped in a new rotor that came with the new Distrib cap, so that shouldn't be a problem should it?

What gets me even more is that I pulled everything off and reinstalled the old distributor cap, rotor, and wires and everything was running as it should.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts