Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the jerk I paid 20+ years ago to re-upholster my seats did away with the seatback listing wire. I don't think he knew what else to do with it; the listing wire for the seat bottom was there, just not in the sleeve of the vinyl. It was just kind of hanging around in the general area....
Anyway, I've read where you guys have used coat hanger wire and welding rods as replacements, but I can't find any of either one long enough for the seat back (standard interior). Does the listing wire have to be one continuous piece, of can I use 3 short ones for each side of the
U-shape?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that. I had every guy in both Lowe's and Home Depot trying to find a piece of wire anywhere in the whole store. Found nothing but the welding rod, and I'm the one that found that. I even tried the farm and tractor store...
My husband is heading for the welder supply when he gets off duty in the am. Maybe he'll find something. Why is absolutely nothing easy???

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Aluminum t.v. antenna guy wire worked well for me, and is plenty long - comes in 50 foot coils, I think - I used the stranded stuff, easier to work than the solid.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
IIRC, all seat backs and the base for "standard" interior are one continuous piece (and need to be). The pony seats use 3 seperate wires for the base. The difference, and where you'll run into problems is with the seat bun, as the standard interior bun is not "squared" like the pony seat bun.

What's your time frame for needing these? I'm sure I have some, but it would take me a week or so to get to them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No hurry, but I'm getting antsy because every time I dismantle something, I can't get it back together for whatever reason.
I've got a guy about twenty miles from me that says he has a barn full of parts and I plan on going there after work Thursday. If he doesn't have any, I may get in touch with you. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts