Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New to the forum. I recently purchased a 69 mustang. I noticed that there are some oil leaks in my garage so I went ahead to take a look at the undercarriage.

Anyway, as I was checking I noticed that I can see part of the transmission gear... After doing some search it seems like I don't have the transmission inspection plate.

Should I stop driving it until I get the cover? Also... is it supposed to be dry???

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

Sounds like you may be talking about the inspection plate on the lower part of the bell housing. If so you are seeing the flexplate that attaches the motor crank to the transmission torque converter. Its It's better to have it on there when running it. Oil sounds like the motor may have a rear main seal leak.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Mine has been missing since at least June 30 , 1984 .
That's the day I bought my car .

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the picture!

Should it look like this?

Sounds like you may be talking about the inspection plate on the lower part of the bell housing. If so you are seeing the flexplate that attaches the motor crank to the transmission torque converter. Its It's better to have it on there when running it. Oil sounds like the motor may have a rear main seal leak.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,406 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
The flex plate itself looks dry, has some flash rust that wouldn't likely be there with a thin coat of oil and centrifugal force. Probably from valve cover(s) or the back of the intake. There are worse oil leaks on 2015 cars.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Just because it's damp, don't assume it's transmission fluid. It could be oil or anything else.

Even if it /is/ transmission fluid, remember that the power steering uses the same stuff and it could be blowing backwards while you drive down the road. Or it could be leaking from the transmission cooler lines to the radiator.

·
3,982 Posts
Just because it's damp, don't assume it's transmission fluid. It could be oil or anything else.

Even if it /is/ transmission fluid, remember that the power steering uses the same stuff and it could be blowing backwards while you drive down the road. Or it could be leaking from the transmission cooler lines to the radiator.
Check the color of the fluid on the floor and then check the color of fluids in the car. My B&M Trans fluid is blue, power steering fluid is red, and engine oil is brown.

The missing inspection plate should not stop you from driving the car, but it might be a good idea to get one to keep things from getting into the bell housing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's brown so for sure its the oil. It looks like coming out right behind the harmonic balancer... Maybe the oil pan gasket needs replacing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts